Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am in the process of choosing a newer Shadow (Ace, Aero, Spirit, or Phantom) and essentially am torn between choosing any of them.

The Phantom is my favorite to be sure, but as it is pretty new the lowest price I've been able to find one for is around 6k.

I've been considering taking one of the older bikes (ACE, Aero, Spirit) and just modifing that into looking more bobber-ish.

I've been able to find an ACE as low as 2500, but to modify the fenders into the look I'm wanting, a Blue Collar Bobber kits all together can be reaching upwards of a grand.

I've also found a Spirit for around 3k, but the only thing I don't like on the Spirit is the skinny forks. Now, do the Aero/Ace/Phantom have different forks all together? Or are they just thick covers?

What's the cheapest method to get the "fat fork" look on a Spirit? I wasn't sure if it is a simple addition of thicker covers, or if I'd have to find an entire new assembly.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
588 Posts
The fat forks are just fork covers but they also have fatter front tires on the ace which I think gives it a good look. You may also want to look at the Vulcan 800 classic if that's a look you like. I've bobbed out both (and many other shadows as well). My favorite for the "fat" front is the boulevard c50. And these are fuel injected after 2005 (before that they were called the volusia). You can find then for $2500-3k if you look around a bit. Check out more pics on my Facebook page (www.facebook.com/804bobbers) if interested. I run most mine with no rear fender but obviously depends on what you're gonna use the bike for if you wanna go that route.
ImageUploadedByMO Free1387042880.656552.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I'm such a Honda guy at heart and had such fantastic luck with them (my first bike was a Rebel I put 12,000 miles on, dropped it more times than I can count and ever had an issue, and my 32 year old CX500 is unbreakable) I really am endowed towards Hondas.

Deadshadow, great job bobbing that, it looks great.

I've been looking at ACE's alot, I guess the only thing that makes me drift away from them is they're chain drive, which isn't a big deal, but I love the low maintenance of the shaft, and that they're dual-carb and I prefer a single carb set up, or fuel injection would be nice.

·
Registered
751 Posts
the ACE (and spirit too) makes a very nice project bike. lots of options to change or add.

fork covers are just covers. Shaft drive sounds nice until you find out you can't change the gear ratio to get rid of the "phantom 6th gear," and if you can't stray a chain with oil then you have no business riding a bike in the first place. LOL. While fuel injection is nice you won't miss it with these bikes. No gain in going single over dual carb.

Crimson, you should buy my ACE bobber.. haha Your close enough I could deliver.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I got the shaft..... literally. Thought I wanted shaft drive till I realized everything I can't mod, like gear changes, wider tires, etc. Any one of the bikes will work, fork covers etc. Personally, I would stick to chain drive and find a good deal on a bike, then go from there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts