Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody else have trouble with this occurring on cylinder cover? Wondering if Honda will stand behind it, and what is the reason. Thanks!

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have not had that problem, but my guess is if it's a fairly new bike they will cover it. That is a problem they can't blame on poor maintenance, it is simply a 'defect in materials or workmanship', the very thing even cruddy warranties cover.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Trueseaker said:
I have not had that problem, but my guess is if it's a fairly new bike they will cover it. That is a problem they can't blame on poor maintenance, it is simply a 'defect in materials or workmanship', the very thing even cruddy warranties cover.
I don't know if it's the case here... but it can be considered abuse if the
bike is left in the weather... especially if the chrome piece has
been nicked or scared in some manner.
Rust can form up under the chrome and push it out from the backside, just
like it does paint. If that is the case, Honda has no responsibility to
do anything.

If it is just peeling off from a poor workmanship or defective processes or
materials issue, Honda should cover it.

·
Registered
865 Posts
litnin said:
Trueseaker said:
I don't know if it's the case here... but it can be considered abuse if the
bike is left in the weather... especially if the chrome piece has
been nicked or scared in some manner.
Rust can form up under the chrome and push it out from the backside, just
like it does paint. If that is the case, Honda has no responsibility to
do anything.

If it is just peeling off from a poor workmanship or defective processes or
materials issue, Honda should cover it.
Since the cylinder covers are chrome plated plastic, rust won't be the culprit. I don't think just being in the weather could be considered abuse either. Is it still under warranty?

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
morepower said:
Since the cylinder covers are chrome plated plastic, rust won't be the culprit. I don't think just being in the weather could be considered abuse either. Is it still under warranty?
Plastic? Wow! I didn't know that. Mine aren't plastic.

I know they some were being made out of carbon fiber (not on a Honda),
but I didn't know they were plastic now.
Mine are chrome plated steel.

·
Registered
865 Posts
litnin said:
morepower said:
Plastic? Wow! I didn't know that. Mine aren't plastic.

I know they some were being made out of carbon fiber (not on a Honda),
but I didn't know they were plastic now.
Mine are chrome plated steel.
Maybe I didn't look as close as I thought, but on my '06 Spirit, I'm pretty sure the cylinder covers are plastic. Now you have me wondering.

·
Registered
134 Posts
On your bike they are plastic. Honda did this when they came out with the shaft drive single carb areo. The side covers on part of the engine are plastic also, the one over the clutch (right side). Even the big Daddy VTX 1800 has a plastic clutch cover.\
I had a dealer claim they did it to save weight could be but I wonder why else $$$ :roll:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts