Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Honda Shadow Aero 750
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need opinions. Had a little rust on my exhaust. I ordered a dremel polish tool. It was stainless steel. I put some of my metal polish on and it removed a lot of the rust bit left smudges I can't get out. Any advice? It's driving me crazy
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Tread
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Tread

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
10,256 Posts
Try using wad aluminium foil and your chrome polish. SS brushes are used with fine grade diamond lap on hardened tool steel or aggressive cleaning as you found out. They make brass and nylon brushes also. The grit in your polishing paste should be fine enough but using a dremel style tool requires knowledge of the art so to speak.

·
Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,107 Posts
Hate to say it, but you MIGHTTA scratched the chrome with your brush...
I hope those are just smudges I see in the bend ;)
Hope,
D

Jewelers rouge is a good polishing compound

·
Registered
03 750 ACE / Michigan
436 Posts
Polishing is just putting finer and finer scratches in it until you can't see them anymore. So what you did is put some coarse scratches in it. Now you need to work it back up to invisible ones. Was it a ss brush on your Dremel? Now step up to a wool disc and some jewelers rouge, or other chrome polish. I know you can get jewelers polishing kits for the Dremel.

The challenge you'll have is that the chrome plate is extremely thin, so since you've already gotten a little aggressive with it, you need to be careful not to polish right through.

Dremel 684-01 20-Piece Cleaning & Polishing Rotary Tool Accessory Kit with Case - Includes Buffing Wheels, Polishing Bits, and Polishing Compound https://a.co/d/b6PkRK7

·
Registered
2008 Honda Shadow Aero 750
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hate to say it, but you MIGHTTA scratched the chrome with your brush...
I hope those are just smudges I see in the bend ;)
Hope,
D

Jewelers rouge is a good polishing compound
No they are frim the ss polishing brush. It doesn't look scratched. It looks smudged. So hope it will polish up

·
Registered
103 Posts
Going today and get different polish and more felt pads. There are some in my kit but ill see what else I can get
Seriously consider the Nevr-Dull. It can be used on any metals, so it would not go to waste. You inspired me to try it again a few minutes ago. It made very quick work of polishing my kill switch housing. The stuff is SO easy to use because the active ingredients are already in the wad, which is what is in the can. This is not a liquid or paste. You just tear off as much as you need each time.
Good luck!

·
Registered
03 750 ACE / Michigan
436 Posts
Seriously consider the Nevr-Dull. It can be used on any metals, so it would not go to waste. You inspired me to try it again a few minutes ago. It made very quick work of polishing my kill switch housing. The stuff is SO easy to use because the active ingredients are already in the wad, which is what is in the can. This is not a liquid or paste. You just tear off as much as you need each time.
Good luck!
It's good stuff for sure. I've used it on aluminum and brass, but I've never tried it on chrome.

·
Registered
103 Posts
In my experiences with it, no power other than my own elbow grease is necessary. You can even shape it to get in tight spots as I did on the chrome areas of my grips.

·
Registered
103 Posts
In my experiences with it, no power other than my own elbow grease is necessary. You can even shape it to get in tight spots as I did on the chrome areas of my grips.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts