Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a GPS that I use in my truck and I want to use in on the bike for sturgis this year It just plugs into the cigarette lighter in my truck and I have found one that would work on a bike @ Cruisercusomizing.com but in the reviews it also says that there are MUCH cheeper options. I do not need anything fancy since it will only be on the bike for road trips. I may also pulug the ipod into it but i don't know how I feel about headphones on while riding....

Have any of you purchesed something like this if so any input and the location of where you bought it would be really apriciated.

· Registered
1,300 Posts
I installed a lighter socket by my Tach for plugging in my System Voltmeter. I connected the lighter socket to the battery via a relay (activated by the Ignition switch) and a 15 A inline fuse.
If I want to use the socket I unplug my volt meter and plug in whatever ie. GPS, Compressor, Cell phone/Camera charger etc.
Works like a charm.
BTW by hooking it up via a relay I make sure that the engine has to be running when using the lighter socket. I hate run down batteries.
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e343/torpedo203/Bike Pics/100_0246.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e343/torpedo203/Bike Pics/100_0235.jpg

· Registered
3,761 Posts
meatpopsicle,

May I make one suggestion to you.

There are two types of outlets.

There are "cigarette lighter" outlets and there are "accessory" outlets.

While they are pretty much interchangeable, "accessory outlets"
are usually a little longer (deeper) than cigarette outlets.
Cigarette light outlets usually have a loose fit when you plug something
in to them, whereas the "accessory plug" will hold it a little more snug.

You might want to get an "accessory outlet".
They also can be found at just about any auto supply place.

· Registered
5,978 Posts

· Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the imput guys, I did not even think of looking @ Autozone or anytihing like that I will check the prices. I can't decide if I want to drop the $80 for a nice chrome one or just get the cheepo and mount it in the saddle bag to protect against the weather?

But knowing me I am probably going to get the expensive one.... If I put it on the credit card it's like it didn't cost anything :lol:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.