Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi There

Next weekend marks the beginning of my 3 week holiday around the South Island of New Zealand.

I want to wire a cigaretter lighter into my bike so I can charge a few things on the way, my camera batteries, my cellphone and hopefully my laptop.

I have a 100watt inverter I was planning to use for the charger and the laptop. Is this asking too much?

Steve

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
steeeve said:
Hi There

Next weekend marks the beginning of my 3 week holiday around the South Island of New Zealand.

I want to wire a cigaretter lighter into my bike so I can charge a few things on the way, my camera batteries, my cellphone and hopefully my laptop.

I have a 100watt inverter I was planning to use for the charger and the laptop. Is this asking too much?

Steve
If it is only drawing 100W and you are not running any too much extra lighting, and your charging system is up to specs, you should be just fine.

Think of 100W as a pair of 50W driving lights....doable but not a great deal of leftover wattage.

Make sure the connector between the stator and rectifier is clean and not trying to melt (it's the big one under the seat with 3 yellows going in and 3 yellows going out).

Cool, I spent 2 weeks around Christmas on the SI. A couple of must ride roads, Crown Range Road, goes into Queenstown - what a ride. The other is the road from Queenstown to Glenorchy, and the road that goes down the other side of the lake too.

Also right over by Lake Tekapu go visit the Mt Johns Observatory....very fun ride to the top - technical not fast. All the roads are good riding though.....as I am sure you are well aware. :wink:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply Chuck. Yeah had the same analogy in mind about the lights. I'll check out the connections you mention although I the many times I've had the seat off I don't remember so many or any for that matter yellow wires. Just the green ones for the indicators etc. I'll check my manual too.

I was born and raised in Christchurch and spent time in Central Otago as a kid. The area around Queenstown, places like Cromwell, Arrowtown were favourites and my Mum's family has ties to Lake Tekapo so they're all places I'd like to spend extra tme in if I can. Thanks for the recommendations on the roads. I'll see if I can put them into my trip.

I'm taking the computer with the intention of keeping a running diary and putting photos with it as I go. If I can figure out how I'll put it into a website at the end for anyone thinking of coming to New Zealand to have a look at.

Thanks heaps.

Steve

·
Registered
190 Posts
An easy to remember rule-of-thumb for inverters is to multiply the current consumption of the ac device by 10 to get the battery draw of the inverter. For example, a 120 volt ac device that draws 1.5 amps will draw about 15 amps from the battery using an inverter.

Or you can divide the device wattage by 10 and get an approximate amperage value; 300 watts=30 amps

These values are approximate, but if you're browsing Walmart and looking at something wondering about how much it'll draw ... it'll get you in the ball park.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All done. I found one with alligator clips for the battery and snipped them off. I've put crimp connectors on the ends now. One to the battery and the other to a ground wire under the seat. The reason I chose that particular one as it was plastic coated like an extension cord rather than just bare metal that would have needed a bracket or mount of some sort. I've tucked it behind the right hand panel.

Now, I didn't wire a fuse in but the extension cord I bought to use with it has a 10amp fuse. Hopefully everything will be sweet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts