Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought an '04 VLX for SYKOMOM to learn to ride on. I've taken it out a few times (just to keep the gas fresh! :D ). I ride a Valkyrie Interstate, so there's a little adjustment for me... I've noticed 2 things so far. The first is a clanking sound when I hit a bump. Thought it might be the chain, but then read about the tank rattle. Could be that I guess... Second thing is top end. Down hill with tail wind WFO I can get up to 80. I go about 250 lbs, so that might affect it, but is that about right for this machine? SYKOMOM will probably never top it out, but you know how it is with a new toy... (BTW I've never topped out the Valk, chicken out around 115) Any thoughts from those of you more well versed with the VLX will be much appreciated.
TIA,
1FAST6

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
SYKOMOM said:
Just bought an '04 VLX for SYKOMOM to learn to ride on. I've taken it out a few times (just to keep the gas fresh! :D ). I ride a Valkyrie Interstate, so there's a little adjustment for me... I've noticed 2 things so far. The first is a clanking sound when I hit a bump. Thought it might be the chain, but then read about the tank rattle. Could be that I guess... Second thing is top end. Down hill with tail wind WFO I can get up to 80. I go about 250 lbs, so that might affect it, but is that about right for this machine? SYKOMOM will probably never top it out, but you know how it is with a new toy... (BTW I've never topped out the Valk, chicken out around 115) Any thoughts from those of you more well versed with the VLX will be much appreciated.
TIA,
1FAST6
My tank never actually rattled, it more squeaked than anything.
I was able to cure that with some anti-seize on the neck bushings.

The chain is a very good possiblity.
If it's loose, it can slap the chain guard.

As for 80... that's about right for the VLX with your size.
If you want a little more out of it, pipes, air filter, and rejet will
get it up easily to over 90 and upwards of 95+.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.