Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
The article says the bikes had transmissions with "defective speed transmissions". What does that mean?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Hmmm...Maybe a class action lawsuit against Honda, because they make riding so enjoyable I don't want to go to work!!

·
Registered
1,146 Posts

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Heat

I have a stock 04 RK with no heat issues. Apparently starting in 07 Harley had to lean the fuel mixture to meet California EPA regs, and they also increased the cubic inches that year too. These two factors created excessive heat issues. Most buyers modified the exhaust and remapped the fuel mixture to solve the problem. The problem was more pronnounced on touring bikes with lowers and fairings that restricted air flow to the engine.
For riders in warm climates the bikes were too hot to ride without doing the after market mods. I believe Harley knew that touring bikes sold in warm climates would cause many riders to be dissatisfied. They should have disclosed this info to buyers at the time of purchase, apparently they did not.

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
Class action

I have a stock 04 RK with no heat issues. Apparently starting in 07 Harley had to lean the fuel mixture to meet California EPA regs, and they also increased the cubic inches that year too. These two factors created excessive heat issues. Most buyers modified the exhaust and remapped the fuel mixture to solve the problem. The problem was more pronnounced on touring bikes with lowers and fairings that restricted air flow to the engine.
For riders in warm climates the bikes were too hot to ride without doing the after market mods. I believe Harley knew that touring bikes sold in warm climates would cause many riders to be dissatisfied. They should have disclosed this info to buyers at the time of purchase, apparently they did not.
Like I stated earlier, anybody that rides and doesn't know the exhaust is hot shouldn't be riding. I lost count a long time ago of how many times I burned my legs on the exhaust pipe. Buyer beware is exactly the whole enchilada.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Although I may be mistaken but, it would seem a few people are missing the key argument here. I don't believe it's merely the pipes or engine metals being hot to the touch but, rather the engine itself is putting out an exuberant amount of heat to such an extent that it's burning people. There was a dude (Phil Magee) who commented within the link that says he owns an '04 Electra Glide and has had his jeans burnt from the ambient heat of the engine - not by touching it. I'm sure most of you can relate to a similar feeling of heat protruding from the engine while riding, thankfully it's pretty minimal since our bikes are liquid cooled.

While I'm a bit on the fence in this case as, perhaps HD should have warned people, it also seems like the alleged "bikers" are wusses and, they should have probably realized this after test riding the bike before making a purchase.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Although I may be mistaken but, it would seem a few people are missing the key argument here. I don't believe it's merely the pipes or engine metals being hot to the touch but, rather the engine itself is putting out an exuberant amount of heat to such an extent that it's burning people. There was a dude (Phil Magee) who commented within the link that says he owns an '04 Electra Glide and has had his jeans burnt from the ambient heat of the engine - not by touching it. I'm sure most of you can relate to a similar feeling of heat protruding from the engine while riding, thankfully it's pretty minimal since our bikes are liquid cooled.

While I'm a bit on the fence in this case as, perhaps HD should have warned people, it also seems like the alleged "bikers" are wusses and, they should have probably realized this after test riding the bike before making a purchase.
These are the only people I have head of getting actually BURNED from the heat put off by their air cooled engine with a twinkie. Friend has a CVO Road Glide Ultra with a 110. Runs SUPER hot. He hasn't had burns from it

·
Registered
23,171 Posts
Air cooled engines get hot
exhaust pipes get hot
radiant heat is always a factor.. just more whiny assed people wanting someone to compensate them for being the stupid meat heads they are

·
Registered
887 Posts
What the heck are "speed transmissions"? If those are defective, does that mean I can't trust the drive shaft, blinker fluid, flux capacitor, radiator hoses, or front differential either? Oh man those Twin Cam 88s must be falling apart.
</sarcasm>

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
well if someone can win a lawsuit for spilling hot coffee on themself i guess burning yourself on your hot exhaust is about the same

·
Registered
12,291 Posts
Inherent risks, people...my Tourer runs a wee bit warm, but nothing that burns my skin off.

And, I wear shorts when I ride.

Oh-oh! My engine and pipes get hot! Let me sue Honda for not making a MOTORCYCLE run cooler!!!

Oh, for Pete's sake...

·
Registered
201 Posts
Before my Honda I had a Bandit that was air cooled, no burns here and I'm riding in New Orleans

1 - 20 of 41 Posts