Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like a PITA, this will be my first time ever cleaning motorcycle wheels. Is a mini power ball or something like that going help? What kind of cleaners are you guys using? Can I use chrome polish on the spokes or will it damage them? I really don't want to make a mess out of this

·
Registered
711 Posts
I just use purple stuff or simple green and a fairly stiff bristled brush between the spokes and a Brillo pad on the rim and white walls if they're really bad. A little purple stuff or simple green helps get the gunk out from between the spokes and off the rim if they're not.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you use a motorcycle jack?

·
Registered
17,923 Posts
I agree with C5, I spray the spokes then use the pressure washer in most cases...
For the stubborn grime I`ll break out the brush to scrub...

You won`t hurt the stainless spokes...

Merry Christmas
Ann & Dennis

WELCOME

·
Registered
955 Posts
Is a mini power ball or something like that going help?
These things shred to pieces in less than five minutes.
Save your money!

I recommend a nice long pair of shoe strings plus your cleaner of choice.

Keep in mind that stock spokes ARE NOT chrome. They are an alloy with a protective coating. If you work the spokes to the point of removing the coating, the spokes will be exposed and black spots will develop, so be careful picking your cleaner. Goof Off has worked well for me.

I have tried just about everything I have ever read about it and the shoestring method has by far been the most effective.

Yes, it is hard work and yes you will probably develop blisters, but after your initial cleaning, maintenance cleaning is considerably easier.

The strings work well.
Happy Cleaning.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
It looks like a PITA,
Yes they are if not kept up. That's why I like the stock aluminum alloy rims on my 1100 Shadow. I paid my dues with my previous 2 bikes with spoked rims.

·
Premium Member
7,678 Posts
No matter how you do it, it's monotonous and time consuming. The only way to get them clean is to physically remove the grime. As stranger mentioned, shoe laces work well, as does a long thin strip of old terry towel.(an old bath towel makes an bunch) It's just the price you pay for the old school spoked look. Mine get a thorough cleaning a few times a year with a quick wipe down whenever I put the bike away. I'll be changing both tires sometime this winter, so the wheels will get a thorough cleaning and waxing while I have them off the bike.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts