Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to clean my chain. It is a o-ring chain. I am wanting to know what type of cleaners to use. I have chain lube but no cleaner. Any suggestions?? And also, how often do you clean your chain?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Kerosene is the way to go. This is what the manual says to do also. I clean about every 1500 miles. Nice and shiny.

·
Registered
82 Posts
+2 on the kerosene, I use a rag first the a small brush. New lube and good to go.

·
Registered
18,102 Posts
When I bought my chains, (X & O) the manufacture suggest kerosene to clean them with...
* Remove, soak, wipe dry, reinstall - relube, wipe off excess *
I`ve always thought ~ "Fight Fire with Fire" ~ I clean my chain with the oil I lube with as I oil it...
Apply to chain, wipe off excess...
Try it,
Dennis
T-minus-10-days

·
Registered
253 Posts
I always used WD-40. Others will recommend against it, but it never caused me any problems and works great.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Anything that washes grease out of chain internals is to be avoided (washing with WD-40, silicone spray, kerosene, gas, etc). If you must clean it, do what the above posters recommend. To keep it cleaner, consider moving to a 'no throw' lube like Klotz, Dupont Teflon or other approaches. See www.webbikeworld.com for lube reviews.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts