Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a National Cycle Custom Heavy Duty windshield on my 85 VT700. I am wondering what other people use to clean their windshields. The instructions said to clean it with soap and water only. I find tha kind of hard to do on the road. I had a Windjammer fairing 20 some odd years ago and I used Novus #1 &#2 cleaner/polish with a non-woven cotton pad to clean both the body and the shield. I liked that product and it didn't take a lot so it lasted a long time and I liked the performance. My borther-in-law uses some spray can stuff from Harley but it is ungodly expensive. So what I am asking is what do you other windshield owner use to slean them with?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Lemon Pledge explosion in 5,4,3,2..... :D

·
Registered
902 Posts
Hand wash the whole bike with a dash of dawn dishwashing liquid & warm water, towel dry, and finish up with ... tum te tum ... lemon pledge. Chrome, mirrors, paint, pipes, seat, saddlebags, windshield, helmet, whatever... I do 'em all the same.
Don't use paper towels or rainex on a plastic windshield.
As far as cleaning on the road? I just look over mine when I can't see through it any more. :)

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
highlandman said:
? I just look over mine
Iam sorry, probably not the correct time or place, but i thought
you were suppose to look over it not thru it? iam kind of a newbe to windshields.

sorry, maybe iam wrong, and have my windsheild adjusted all wrong.

·
Registered
902 Posts
droy said:
highlandman said:
? I just look over mine
Iam sorry, probably not the correct time or place, but i thought
you were suppose to look over it not thru it? iam kind of a newbe to windshields.

sorry, maybe iam wrong, and have my windsheild adjusted all wrong.
Yes, I was just being a [email protected]$$. Besides, mine is so little I'd have to be laying down on the tank to look through it. 8)

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
I use Plexius for my shield and it works great, when on the road I carry two large Micro Fiber cloths, one kinda wet in a zip lock bag and one dry one, been caught at times to far from any water or service station and need to clean the bugs off and this set up works great, or just carry a can of Plexius or Honda Spray Polish but still carry those Micro Fiber cloths.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I have a shield (don't recall which brand) that comes off w/allen wrench in 20 secs. I live under the AZ sun which bakes bug and small child splatters onto the shield in such a manner that all the above methods are rendered laughable. I have to take my shield into the shower w/me once a week or so and after I'm clean it gets clean w/a sponge. After it's re-installed it gets Plexiused. I'ved named it Heather so that when I'm not showering w/some other female I can still have a nice shower.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I rummaged arround in the cleaning cupboard last weekend. Unfortunatly my wife didn't have any pledge spray, but dhe did have some pledge wipes that she didn't like and wasn't using. I gave them a try and guess what, they work. The best thing is that they don't take up much room in my saddlebags. To all that responde to my post thanks.

·
Registered
342 Posts
We always use Lemon Pledge pump bottle, and not the aerosol spray on our police bike windshields. I've heard that the fluorocarbons in the aerosol can will cause the plastic to turn yellow over time. Not sure if it's true or not..

·
Registered
37 Posts
I find it amazing that everyone uses pledge dusting spray. It is amazing what I have learned on this site, who would have ever known to use dusting stuff to clean a bike.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Need I say it, liquid glass after you wash it, then just wipe of the debris with a micro fiber cloth, it will just disappear because of the LG coating.

Damn, I wish I had share in LG>
:lol: :lol:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ok Dragoon, you have finally got me. Who makes Liquid Glass and where can i get some?
(I thought you already had shares, due to all of the plugs!)

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Just don't use paper towels on your windshield. That will surely scratch the crap out of it.
I've even seen guys use the wndshield brushes at gas stations to clean their windshields...talk about scratches!!!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.