Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Yesterday I posted a question about keeping a bike clean. This morning I run into the old owner and asked him what he use on the alum and crhome. Only to find out it was oven cleaner, That is why every this is turning black so far I think. So once again I'm at a loss what can I do to try and fix this. Sorry to be such a pain in the butt
Dusty

·
Registered
710 Posts
:roll: Well,,,,,, oven cleaner works pretty good getting melted rain suit off your pipes. But I wouldn't get on my paint.
We usually use some waterless wash that we pick up at bike rallys. I'm sorry I don't know the name of it right now, I'll try to find out though. I have some custume work on mine & my painter said it was safe.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I don't think I would use oven cleaner on aluminum either. I am not a scientist, but I would say that oven cleaner is caustic and would be a bit corrosive on aluminum. Also, some polished aluminum wheels have clear coat paint on them to help with shine. If you can determine the wheels do not have clear coat on them, then try using SOS pads on the aluminum. Once you get them cleaned up then use Never Dull on them regularly to keep them shiny.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The guy I bought it from is the wise guy. oven cleaner turns the alum black, not in a nice way. it looks like - (well I can't go there). He did it to clean it quick for a fast sale I guess. Or as Supv26 sos and never dull. If that is what he used on the bike in the pic is worth a try. Some one local suggested almost the same thing. The finest steel wool and Mothers polish. Thank you for the tips.
Dusty

·
Registered
62 Posts
As long as I have anything w/ chrome, I'm never w/out Never-dull. I agree w/ supv26, that stuff works great on chrome and aluminum!

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
I would think the oven cleaner worked it's way thru the clearcoat. You can restore the aluminum by polishing it and it will look better than stock when your done.
Oven cleaner is good for....ovens!

G

·
0 Posts
supv26 said:
I don't think I would use oven cleaner on aluminum either. I am not a scientist, but I would say that oven cleaner is caustic and would be a bit corrosive on aluminum. Also, some polished aluminum wheels have clear coat paint on them to help with shine. If you can determine the wheels do not have clear coat on them, then try using SOS pads on the aluminum. Once you get them cleaned up then use Never Dull on them regularly to keep them shiny.
Funny thing is many aluminum care products are also not so good for your aluminum as they contain ammonia, so check your labels and ask the mnaufacturer if you are not sure

1 - 7 of 7 Posts