Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son smelled something when he went outside, and looked at my VT 1100 sitting under my carport with smoke rolling out from under the cover. THE WIRES ON MY BATTERY TENDER WERE FRIED TO A CRISP!! Luckily no other damage, but it serves as a warning, keep an eye peeled if you use a battery tender.

·
Registered
12,862 Posts
Good advice, bad electrical things can happen. Did you see any mouse chewed wires on the tender?
Or did they ground out to a piece of metal?

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Let us know what you suspect as a cause.
At this time of year both my bike and work bench batteries are on 0.8 amp maintenance chargers continuously and only way I'd notice was if a fire popped up on the security camera.
Both are protected by 4 amp fuses, but I can see some rodent chewing on the wrong side of the inline fuse might cause problems.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There was no evidence of mice, and the wires were not rubbing....but its hard to tell about the mice bforb sure because the insulation was burned off most of the wiring.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Thanks for getting back to us and glad the damage was limited to the charger.
Was the charger box itself looking like it could have shorted out internally or was it too baked to tell?
I've never really considered a failure of the charger before this, I appreciate the heads up.

·
Registered
554 Posts
call me crazy, but I hate leaving things plugged in!! I am fortunate that I can ride most of the year here in Maryland and my bike is in the garage.....When I am not riding it, I will put it on the trickle charger, but once full, I take it off. Same with my Plug in rechargeable car, I try to only charge the battery when I am home and awake.

·
Registered
8,247 Posts
I use a Deltran and a Schumacher brand tenders. The advice to not let them stay plugged in all the time is spot on but my ladies are stored nicely out of the elements. Those rides stored in harsher conditions, take the battery out and bring it inside and tender it as needed.

·
Registered
12,862 Posts
What brand was it and how many charging amps?
I have the Battery tender Jr. which is only 3/4 amp maintenance.

·
Registered
8,247 Posts
Most tender's are .75 ma. 2 amp are considered trickle chargers but I'd say there could have been a shutdown problem but being it's a charger according to amp. output and being DOGO? brand.....

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
call me crazy, but I hate leaving things plugged in!! I am fortunate that I can ride most of the year here in Maryland and my bike is in the garage.....When I am not riding it, I will put it on the trickle charger, but once full, I take it off. Same with my Plug in rechargeable car, I try to only charge the battery when I am home and awake.
That’s a good practice. I know I always unplug the toaster. Years ago my brother was toasting something when there was a power outage. I guess his scatter-brained ass was bored and went out. He came back to find the Fire Dept. putting out the fire in his kitchen. So yeah, anything that isn’t a t.v., lamp or such, I typically unplug.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts