Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody,

I picked up my used '16 shadow aero 750 back in January with about 5600 miles on it as my first bike. Looked in great shape except for a ding on the rear fender that looked like it could have happened just moving the bike around.

Not much riding done yet until this last weekend when I was able to get out for a couple others for about 180 miles. This should have been closer to 200 miles though. On a country road on the return I got a CLUNK clunk clunk and was thankfully able to safely coast it off the road into a driveway with no incident. I found someone who could trailer me home and got it to the shop yesterday when they opened up. By the title of the thread you can probably tell this wasn't a small clunk.

I'm at a loss from where to go from here. The bike is outside manufacturer warranty and I didn't get an extended warranty, why would you on a machine with an immensely reliable reputation like the shadow.

Mechanic is getting my firm quote tomorrow for restore to service work including splitting the engine open to clean out all the shrapnel and inspect all other workings. Parts would be in the several hundreds by the time there's a new clutch basket, crankshaft gear, gaskets, etc.. Labor alone to top $1.5k easy.

I'm connected through work to some smart fellows who are going to provide aviation grade analysis of the shattered gear, that may give some peace of mind but won't put the bike back in order, if it even should be returned to order.

Any tips or ideas would be greatly welcomed. The dealership I got it through is refusing to help, standing by the old "used - as is" motto even though it's < 250 miles off their show floor and inspection.

-Wes

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
15,949 Posts
Man OH Man, that took some pressure to break that . Was there any smaller noise before?
Some guys have gotten the dipstick stuck in the gears when they checked it while it was running, for some reason.
And that caused a divot in the primary gear teeth and clutch gear. Other wise that is a mystery.
Does it look like the case was apart before? Different clutch maybe?

Reactions: KiwiRider

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any noise leading up to it was indistinguishable to me as a new rider. It happened in a steady cruise at about 55 mph. The dip stick is still intact and I definitely hadn't messed around with that while it was running.

The mechanic won't be in it again until I authorize more work, I could ask him to verify OEM state of the other pieces then.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Hmm, 5,600 on the clock, I can think of two possible scenarios, first, since there's no lock on the oil filler some asshat stuck some nuts and bolts or stones down the hole, two, the bike was a repo the P.O. knew they were going to come for the bike sooner or later and beat the crap out of it, redline stomp on the shifter burnouts without pulling clutch lever,
Or a third possibility is plain old manufacturing defect.
But the main thing is you are OK, you could've been flying down the interstate 70 mph+ gear explodes chunks lock the trans in turn locking rear wheel pulling the clutch lever doesn't work with a locked transmission, fishtail into a high side get tossed in air at speed, I'll stop here before I get to graphic.
Sorry I'm cursed with a mind that never stops playing out situations like this, It's a wonder I can leave house some days.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The accessories on it at purchase were sissy bar with luggage rack, saddlebags, driver backrest, floor boards, engine guard, and the on bike portion to a Memphis shade windshield (windshield itself missing). What I have dubbed the "old guy two up touring package". This loadout was a big part of my interest in it as I wouldn't have to add much but the missing windshield to get it how I wanted, and could easily take the sissy bar off as my girlfriend rides her own bike and is the reason I got started. I have a tough time imagining the previous owner as a wheelie poppin' burnout maniac with it setup like that.. Maybe an ornery nephew got a hold of a key for too long?

I haven't spotted a tooth on here that looks like it could have a big enough divot in it to have eaten something. I guess I'll leave that up to my aviation inspector to CSI out of it.

On the bright side, my new Memphis shade came in today!

·
Premium Member
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
3,585 Posts
I would guess the dipstick in the clutch gears and then the dipstick replaced or as @Ranma suggests a manufacturing defect.
Based on what we see from time to time here I'd go with the former.

I believe the clutch assembly is similar to the one in my modified 750 ACE which has so far suffered a fair bit of abuse, considerably more power and the added shock of a Barnett clutch kit and has not exploded yet....

If this happened to me I would seriously consider buying something like this: 2016 HONDA SHADOW AERO 750 VT750C ENGINE MOTOR 3,386 MILES RUN VIDEO | eBay
It might well work out cheaper than cleaning out an engine and transmission full of shrapnel, replacing anything damaged and reassembling.

·
Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
1,806 Posts
Hey everybody,

I picked up my used '16 shadow aero 750 back in January with about 5600 miles on it as my first bike. Looked in great shape except for a ding on the rear fender that looked like it could have happened just moving the bike around.

Not much riding done yet until this last weekend when I was able to get out for a couple others for about 180 miles. This should have been closer to 200 miles though. On a country road on the return I got a CLUNK clunk clunk and was thankfully able to safely coast it off the road into a driveway with no incident. I found someone who could trailer me home and got it to the shop yesterday when they opened up. By the title of the thread you can probably tell this wasn't a small clunk.

View attachment 293176

View attachment 293177

I'm at a loss from where to go from here. The bike is outside manufacturer warranty and I didn't get an extended warranty, why would you on a machine with an immensely reliable reputation like the shadow.

Mechanic is getting my firm quote tomorrow for restore to service work including splitting the engine open to clean out all the shrapnel and inspect all other workings. Parts would be in the several hundreds by the time there's a new clutch basket, crankshaft gear, gaskets, etc.. Labor alone to top $1.5k easy.

I'm connected through work to some smart fellows who are going to provide aviation grade analysis of the shattered gear, that may give some peace of mind but won't put the bike back in order, if it even should be returned to order.

Any tips or ideas would be greatly welcomed. The dealership I got it through is refusing to help, standing by the old "used - as is" motto even though it's < 250 miles off their show floor and inspection.

-Wes
That's horrible news and with that low of mileage. Good luck on the outcome.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
15,949 Posts
Would a replacement engine be the safer route, instead of tearing the cases apart?

·
Premium Member
3,585 Posts
Would a replacement engine be the safer route, instead of tearing the cases apart?
I don't know about safer, it greatly depends on the mechanic and his facilities.

I figure if paying someone to do it, replacing is probably considerably cheaper and if the engine is low mileage, can be seen that it was running and sourced from somebody reputable with a high (99.6%+) satisfaction level I say the the risks are minimal. The engine/transmissions are normally extremely reliable.

In my mind it comes down to:
What is the going mechanic's rate? How long does it take? What pieces are required? Full sets of Gaskets, maybe some bearings, maybe more, shop supplies etc..
Edit: I forgot the elephant!
CLUTCH OUTER (67T) 22100-MBL-610 $292.87

·
Registered
814 Posts
I am complete surprised by this incident. I've seen trail bikes that were beaten on explode parts, gears, pistons but not a road bike with so few miles. You didn't do anything to try to double the HP or anything so ????? That's a machined piece which shouldn't have end up in a bike, I guess there could be some interior cracks or something?

That is just bad luck.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I'd have to think about paying a lawyer to write the dealership a letter as well as contacting the previous owner as to why he traded it in. Very good chance he made the dipstick mistake and got rid of it. Dealership may have patched it together and sold it to you.

If that fails, I'd have to go for the used complete engine listed above, which you could change yourself. way too many things to go wrong re-assembling the old one.

Only other scenario I can think of is maybe Honda started sourcing the gear from china,,,

·
Registered
581 Posts
Big Ouch! How about somebody worked on the clutch for some reason, replaced/upgraded clutch plates and didn't assemble/install clutch right - like left out/misplaced thrust washers, didn't torque(94lbs,thats aLot)/stake end nut correctly and got loose - basket got wobblin/got in bind and just BUSTED CRUNCH CRUNCH !!! The clutch is on the tran mainshaft - Is the matching primary on the crank damaged?
Personally, I've only seen that kinda damage done when something wasn't put together Right... That's definitely KaWackOed Badly++
Who knows on a used bike, maybe prevowner put in wrong oil, burnt the clutch had it worked on - and Oops (wasn't assembled Right (maybe))

Does the Crank still turn, if so why split the cases till the crank is determined to not spin correctly? Is the Case,cover & compartment damaged much?
A lotta questions still on possible fix...

·
Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
6,130 Posts
I'm not sure I would trust the engine anymore unless it was completely disassembled and everything inspected.

Reactions: CoreyP

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well the repair cost is in.. $3,100 for parts and labor!!

I'm fairly sure that's not the route I'll be going.

I requested a rough quote on engine swap, he guessed that at $650, coupled with the ebay engine above that still puts me a little over half the cost to repair the potentially untrustworthy engine thats in the bike.

I opened a case with Honda North America support when I got the pictures of the exploded gear, being an out of warranty bike I expected a firm refusal to interact on the issue once a case triage handler saw the request, to my surprise they sent an email asking me to call in and give more details, which I did quite promptly. The guy I spoke to said they'd reach out directly to my mechanic and get more details and I should hear back from a case manager (hopefully this week). I'm still not sure they'll do anything to help but I do have their attention!

In the meantime, I also asked the mechanic to have his sales guys get me a quote for trade in value.. Seems a darn shame to own a machine for 2 months before considering replacing it, likely at significant loss. The dealer side of the shop does have a '19 aero on their floor that I think should fit all my accessories: floorboards, windshield (which I haven't even got to try on the bike yet), saddlebags, and engine guard. I don't know what kind of value to anticipate for a bike with a bum engine.

Let's all cross our fingers Big Honda in California jumps in here to say they'll help out!

·
Premium Member
3,585 Posts
Thanks for checking back in with the update.
We are pulling for you, with our fingers crossed too.
Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well the professional analysis of the gear concluded there was no unusual fatigue, but there were signs of prolonged wear on a few of the teeth.

Honda North America got back to me today and said they've confirmed that this is a known issue with shadows caused by, and you guys guessed it, some idiot stabbing a dipstick into a running engine. As such they'll not be helping me out.

I've requested intake service records from the dealer I got it from to see if they replaced a dipstick anywhere along the way and may have known there could be an issue. Hopefully my sales rep who seems to be the only helpful person at that dealership doesn't get stonewalled by his service manager pulling those.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm in the same boat - dipstick caused this on my 2010 Phantom. I will be following your progress as I hope you get it fixed! I can;t afford the mechanics rate, so I'm doing it myself.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Wow a dipstick can end up doing that much damage? That's new to me. Who checks their oil while the bike is running? I would be afraid the oil would shoot right back up at me.

I am not surprised Honda took interest in what the Hell happen there. That shouldn't happen. Too bad they figured it out not to be their fault. I wouldn't blame them except maybe why can you cause this problem with a dip stick?

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
15,949 Posts
So weird that we hear of so many of these cases.
Do people check their engine oil on the car while running???

·
Registered
892 Posts
LOL! I’ve known LOTS of people that have tried, with bikes and cars, just to see what would happen! With a bike, it usually involves a lot of cleanup...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts