Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok when i put my 88 vt1100 shadow into first gear w/ the clutch lever fully grabbed sometimes it'll make an unhappy gruntching sound. what do i adjust
to fix/ help this? shop manuals havent been too helpful on dat one.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Sometimes that can mean the clutch isn't completely disengaged and the gears clunk a bit when the forks slide into place.

Likely, bleeding the clutch (if hydraulic-actuated) or re-tensioning the cable can eliminate this issue.

-K

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
What do you do about it? You ignore it! Any Honda I've ever ridden has make a slight "lurch" forward and a distinct, and loud crunch sound as you put it in gear. Remember that the clutch is bathed in engine oil, and even with the clutch pulled in, the engine is still applying force to that oil, and that oil is transferring the force to the other clutch plates. So, no matter how dis-engaged the clutch is, there's still a bit of viscous coupling that's keeping power on the tranny gears. You can never completely disengage the clutch!

Try this: put the bike up on the center stand. My 1986 VT700 has one, and I'm pretty sure the '88 VT1100 does too. With the rear wheel off the ground, pull the clutch in, and shift it into first gear. The rear wheel will start to turn (and continue to spin!) even though you never let the clutch out! There is still power at that wheel because of the oil surrounding the clutch.

Don't worry about the crunch, it's supposed to that. It's all part of the experience!

--Justin

1 - 3 of 3 Posts