Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
I just got on to ride my bike the other day, after letting it sit for about a week to let all of the rain pass that we were getting and I noticed that the clutch had no pressure. The bike is a 1985 Honda Shadow VT700, and I have not had any problems with the clutch till this point. I have bled out the lines thinking that maybe there was air in the lines , because when I checked the master cylinder the oil level was slightly low. After bleeding the lines and refilling there is still no pressure. When I drove the bike last I put about 80 miles on it in one trip and had no problems. I don't know what could of happened by just letting it sit there.

Is there anything else that I can do or am I going to have to replace the master cylinder and the lines?

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
12 Posts
clutch problems

I'm a newbie, but I have an 87 VT 700 and I had no clutch after push starting my bike and I asked for help here and they suggested I crack open banjo bolts on master cylinder and down below, squeeze clutch a little, (fluid comes out) then tighten and I had my clutch back.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Is the banjo bolt the same thing as the oil bolt, which connects the oil hose to the master cylinder itself?
Yes. The master cylinder contains brake fluid. The round fitting on the end of the line has a bolt going through it. The bolt has a hole through the shank of the bolt to allow the fluid to flow. Those types of bolts are called banjo bolts. There's one on the reservoir and another down on the engine. Air is known to accumulate at these points. You need to bleed it off by squeezing the clutch a little, hold it there, and then loosen and then tighten the banjo bolt. Do it at the bars and down on the engine too. You might have to do it a few times to get all the air out. Just be sure you don't let the reservoir get too low or you'll have to bleed the entire system. Good luck. Keep us posted.

Dave

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey guys,
Thanks for the tip on the banjo bolts, I opened and closed both bolts about twice apiece, and the clutch lever has pressure. Thanks for all of your input, and this site is amazing.

Thanks again,
Rob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.