Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,

I swapped out my pulse generator, got everything back together (except the oil) and my clutch lever is completely tight. Also, it will not shift between gears with the cover on. It does go up and down when i don't have everything tightened. Any help would be greatly appreciated...

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Clutch disk #2 and #3 fell between inner and outer during re-assembly. That's my first guess.

Need more info in order to make suggestions....

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Everything went back together ok. With the cover off, i can rotate the assembly and shift through all the gears - without engaging the clutch. The handle isn't just stiffer than normal - it is unmovable. I've taken it apart 2 times and put it back together - can't figure out what I'm missing, if anything - but the lever is stiff even when I have it stripped all the way down. I have it in neutral, filled it with oil and tried to start it - and no good. Don't know if the clutch problem would have anything to do with it not starting. Started fine yesterday before I took it apart and switched the pulse generator.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
OK, pull the 3 bolts and remove slave cyl from engine. Now, does that allow lever to be pulled? If not, somethings wrong between the slave cyl and the master cyl...not inside engine/clutch. From your description, it sounds to me like your issue is here.

Just for fun, the clutch has an outer, inner, 6 disks, 5 shims, 2 large flat washers, 1 spring washer, and 1 nut/washer holding spring in/on. Then the pressure plate (held on with snap ring).

Assembly is disk/shim/disk/shim (and so on for all 5/6) then Smaller of the 2 flat washers (it's O.D. will fit into face of one way bearing on inner)..... then larger of the 2 washers, pressure plate, clutch spring, nut/washer then LAST is the snap ring. All of this is pg 7-20 in the manual. You have downloaded it from the sticky, right?

BTW, the manual specifically addresses the " falling of plate in between clutch center A and B".... "causing clutch to not engage"...... are you positive it's not this?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got it. The plunger in the slave cylinder was out too far - plus I had a washer in the wrong place:shock:. It works now - but I can't go smoothly between gears - it gets stuck. Is this because I haven't oiled it all up yet? I'm waiting on a gasket cover to come.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts