Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At about three quarter to full throttle I get the expected increase in engine rpm, but no increase in acceleration.

I assume I have a clutch that slips. I've researched previous threads about slipping clutches. It seems a common cause is not using the correct oil. I bough my 2009 Vt750C Spirit from a dealer five months and have no idea what kind of oil it has, or even if the dealer changed it. It looks clean.

So even if the oil looks fresh, go ahead and change it and assume it's the wrong oil? Any other ideas?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
most likely the wrong oil.

you can try riding it a few times with the correct oil type and flushing the oil 2-3 times (and riding) with motorcycle oil or any cheap oil that doesnt contain friction modifiers. that could work, and might stave off the problem for a little longer. but chances are if the clutch has been slipped a lot the friction plates are ruined and its best to just replace them and go with a heavier clutch spring while you're in there. But on a positive note, clutches and springs are relatively cheap and easy to replace.

·
Registered
11,245 Posts
At about three quarter to full throttle I get the expected increase in engine rpm, but no increase in acceleration.

I assume I have a clutch that slips. I've researched previous threads about slipping clutches. It seems a common cause is not using the correct oil. I bough my 2009 Vt750C Spirit from a dealer five months and have no idea what kind of oil it has, or even if the dealer changed it. It looks clean.

So even if the oil looks fresh, go ahead and change it and assume it's the wrong oil? Any other ideas?
Why don't you go to the dealer and ask for some relief...ask them to check the bike. You might be alerting them to an issue with their oil stock, or their service crew.

Other than that, +1 what the others have said about the clutch plates / springs.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. The dealer is not close by, but I will at least call them about it. And begin some research on replacing plates and springs.

I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
10,257 Posts
Change your oil is cheapest troubleshoot. Clutch springs usually don't go bad but slipping a clutch due to inexperienced operation can glaze the clutch plates thus causing slippage. Anotherwords clutches are designed to take alot abuse. I never have had replace a clutch assembly on 18 bikes/44 yrs. Did shim the springs once but thats it.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Yes, start with the basics before tearing into the engine. Change the oil (see oilology sticky thread). If you do not KNOW what oil is in there, this is an inexpensive and easy place to start.

I thought my clutch was starting to slip last spring, but it turned out to be the locknut on the lever. I had loosened it when installing my new bars & the cable had worked its way loose. It started with the friction point moving further and further out. I adjusted the cable, tightened down the locknut and everything went back to normal.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Normally a clutch will slip in higher gears when you jam the throttle, on a car or bike. As others have said, change the oil (do NOT ask us what brand, just dont use a car oil) and if it still slips, chances are the clutch is toast. However, i put a hard 26k on my Spirit and it never slipped, i got it with 10k.

·
Registered
75 Posts
My clutch was doing the exact same thing. I found out that my clutch lever wasn't adjusted correctly and had zero free play. I re-adjusted it so it had the proper amount of free play and bingo. No more slip, no matter how hard I try to make it happen.

·
Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,108 Posts
I`d start with adjustment...
Is it within specification???
If cable operated, this is easy enough to check...
MOM calls for 1/8" free play lever movement...
I dunno about Hydraulic specs without looking it up ;)

This is my $.02 worth of FREE advise...

Good Luck,
Dennis

·
Registered
11,698 Posts
If it was the oil as others have stated it wouldn't have taken 5 months to start slipping. Idiot dealership near me put in the wrong oil in my Sabre a few years ago and the clutch was slipping by the time I got home. Most likely a mechanical problem and the first thing I would do is make sure that the clutch lever is correctly adjusted before I go researching replacement parts.

·
Premium Member
7,691 Posts
I`d start with adjustment...
Is it within specification???
If cable operated, this is easy enough to check...
MOM calls for 1/8" free play lever movement...
I dunno about Hydraulic specs without looking it up ;)

This is my $.02 worth of FREE advise...

Good Luck,
Dennis
Great thing about a hydraulic clutch. No spec, just keep the res full.

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
4,641 Posts
Easiest and cheapest solution is to find a local motorcycle shop and buy motorcycle oil and replace yours. OR find oils that does not state "energy conserving" or such and change it. OR an auto parts store and buy Rotella T or T6. There are thousands of bikes that have had clutch slip with improper oil.

G.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks, I believe my free play is correct, so I'm going to change the oil and filter this week end. I have no idea who when or what was put into it before I bought it.

·
Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,108 Posts
Ain`t looked

Great thing about a hydraulic clutch. No spec, just keep the res full.
Unfamiliar with this set up on these Shadows...
On my hydraulic clutch on several cars/trucks the hydraulic system included a slave cylinder with was activated by the master cylinder...
The slave cylinder applied pressure to a rod which has adjustment...
This was my thought on this adjustment/specs for hydraulic...

SO > Is there NO ADJUSTMENT in a hydraulic system???

Learning as I go...

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Just like brakes, jacks, and any other hydraulic piston - virtually no adjust as long as there is no air in the system.

The grass isn't greener, the poo covering it is greener.

·
Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,108 Posts
I thought I read here on HSN of slave cylinders in the clutch system???
But then I hallucinate sometimes too...:D

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
I think there is a slave cylinder, but very little adjustment compared to a cable. Most trouble stems from bleeding the air from the system, not adjuting.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.