Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Honda Shadow VLX600, 2003. I have a bad clutch switch. This is the switch activated by pulling in the clutch lever, and allows you to start your bike even if it's in gear.
I know the switch is bad, as I ran a jumper wire to bypass the switch, and this indeed allows bike to be started in gear.
The question is -- HOW DO YOU REMOVE THE SWITCH?
The service manual gives no instructions, as it simply says "remove switch."
On the underside of the housing is a boss (some people call it a tower). There is no screw in it, and I checked out another shadow, and it has the same configuration. Are we supposed to drill thru this? The switch won't rotate, so I don't think it is threaded into the housing. It seems to have radial clearance in the housing. I tried removing the clutch lever and pushing on the switch from the back, but no luck there.
Any suggestions on how to get this switch out of the housing?

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
you'll get an inside view if you remove the clutch lever from the perch. If your clutch lever has the proper freeplay, you might mark the distance on the clutch cable adjusters for when you redial the freeplay. The cable has to be slackened.

'07 vt600

·
Registered
1996 Honda VT 1100C2 ACE
248 Posts
Honda Shadow VLX600, 2003. I have a bad clutch switch. This is the switch activated by pulling in the clutch lever, and allows you to start your bike even if it's in gear.
I know the switch is bad, as I ran a jumper wire to bypass the switch, and this indeed allows bike to be started in gear.
The service manual gives no instructions, as it simply says "remove switch."
On the underside of the housing is a boss (some people call it a tower). There is no screw in it, and I checked out another shadow, and it has the same configuration. Are we supposed to drill thru this? The switch won't rotate, so I don't think it is threaded into the housing. It seems to have radial clearance in the housing. I tried removing the clutch lever and pushing on the switch from the back, but no luck there.
I have removed mine a couple of times, and you are correct as to how it comes out. I think it's just stuck so you may have to persuade it some.
As you said the switch is no good so you can't hurt it as long as you are replacing it anyway. You are right it won't rotate as it has a keyway slot machined in the housing with the mating surface on the switch itself (it will only fit one way properly). Just to verify the switch should be pushed on the wire side and comes out the lever side after the lever is removed.

·
Premium Member
7,678 Posts
There's a small hole under the perch, in line with the switch. Push a round object (i.e. drill bit, drift pin) into the hole to release the catch while pulling the switch out.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

To all who responded goes a hardy thank you. Indeed, the answer is to completely remove the clutch lever, push on the contact lugs, to remove the switch thru the lever side.
Switch is now replaced and issue is resolved. Thanks all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts