Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what do I look for and or lube to trouble shoot my clutch issue?

My clutch control seems to be getting stuck when I pull it in, I have to push the handle forward rather than it springing back on its own after I pull it back to shift. could a spray of lubricant solve this?

·
Registered
748 Posts
Start with the easy stuff first. Lubricate the cable and perch. Worst case is that clutch springs are shot but they are easy to replace. Keep us posted.
Dave

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Have the same issue with a Suzuki I just purchased, So I'll be watching this thread, waiting for nice weather to dig into that bike.

Dauntae

·
Registered
255 Posts
Can't see if you have a hydraulic clutch or cable, but I'm assuming cable. Motion pro makes some nifty cable lube which I have found very useful for my choke and throttle cables and even bicycle brake cables. If I were you, I'd take as much of the clutch assembly apart and make sure everything is clean and not too worn. Then I'd lube everything and put it back together. That's what I did with my hydraulic master and slave cylinders.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
*One of those Might-Be's*

How about loosening Bolt #21 and Nut #22 and then see if the lever springs back the way it ought to. [Bolt #21 fits into its own female threads in the perch with the end protruding out of the bottom surface of the perch. Nut #22 threads onto the part of Bolt #21 that protrudes. So both of them must be loosened. You'll see.] Obviously, the nut and bolt should NOT be torqued to refusal, otherwise the lever will bind. Originally, I worried about Nut #22 falling off on the road, so there was a tendency to overtighten. On top of that, the manual doesn't give a torque value. However, since Bolt #21 fits into female threads within the perch body, itself, it should be still in place even if Nut #22 fell off. It'll work itself loose eventually, but it's captured independently of the nut. Also, there's a bushing in the lever that wears out, and to lessen the slop in the pivot, people have resorted to overtightening the nut and bolt. Whatever the case, the lever and the perch should be kept lubed.

Btw, I'm assuming that you've already tried to adjust the clutch cable to the NICKEL freeplay.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Ron, I'm going to give that a shot, I'll post if it helps here in a bit... plus I have some spray lubricant we use for AGE and other vehicle maintenance out here.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again Ron, I adjusted the clutch cable, then sprayed it with lube. works like a charm and doesn't get hung up anymore.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts