Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
the sabre i bought had cobra drag pipes on them with no baffles.

A: too loud

b: illegal where i live

He gave me the baffles to put back in. do i just pull the midsection of the pipe. and slide the baffle back in and bolt it at the end of the pipe? the cobra site just gave basic information.

·
Registered
63 Posts
cobra baffles

Biker0099,
I have Cobra drag pipes on my 98 VT1100C. The baffles go in from the rear and just one screw in each to hold it.
To quiet it down and make it sound better I wrapped each baffle with fiberglass muffler packing before installing them.
I like it much better but it is still a little to loud for me but at cruise speed it sounds pretty good.
Even had a Harley guy tell me it sounded good.
Jim

·
Registered
365 Posts
I used 2 separate products: I ordered the fiberglass wrap from Vance & Hines and wrapped it around the contents of another baffle kit, can't remember the manufacturer. It consisted of a wire mesh, a fire resistant mesh fabric and a flat of steel wool; I threw out the pink strands of fiberglass that came with the kit as it was very difficult to get it inside the pipe. The wrap, from outside to inside consisted of the V & H fibreglass flat, mesh fabric, flat of steel wool and the wire mesh. I held it all together in three sections with masking tape, as advised by a couple of motorcycle shops. The tape burned off as soon as the pipes heated up. It did make the muffler quieter, particularly at idle speed, but it still has a bite to it.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Biker0099,
And if installing baffles is still too loud, try putting washers with 1/2" hole in them in front of each baffle. That makes them even quieter and more mellow sounding. Mine (washers) are held in place by just sliding the mufflers back onto the header pipes and the washers can't go anywhere. With drag pipes, you may have to tack-weld the washers to the front of the baffles to keep them in place (and not rattle) Just tack them to see how they sound and if you don't like it you can always take'm back out easy enough. Worked for me. >PD<

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.