Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Honda Shadow RS
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning. I just purchased a 2011 RS yesterday. The PO had a Cobra exhaust installed on the bike. The bike is very loud. It looks like the baffles may have been removed, but I am someone who has always kept stock exhaust on a bike, so I am not 100% sure on that. I uploaded a video that I took of it yesterday in hopes of some help.

2011 Honda Shadow RS with Cobra Exhaust

So, to me, it sounds like the baffles were removed. I looked up the pipes with a light and it didn't look like anything was in there. I also see that I can purchase new baffles and screw them in. But, again, having no knowledge of after market exhaust, I was hoping for some advice before I go searching for stock exhaust.

Thanks all,
Dan

Reactions: kesanders

·
Registered
2013 Honda Shadow Phantom 750
3,816 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Have you checked the Cobra website to see if they have baffles that that you can buy for their pipes?

I have seen several threads on the forum where people have talked about the Cobra baffles, some say they get real close to stock sound levels.

Someone more knowledgeable than I should be along soon that can help.

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
03 750 ACE / Michigan
211 Posts
I have the Cobra Boulevard drag pipes on mine. Without the baffles they are obnoxiously loud. I run with baffles in but no fiberglass packing. It's a nice rumble, has a good sound but quiet enough that I don't feel bad about cruising through a neighborhood early in the morning. If I put the packing in I'm sure it would approach stock sound levels. The baffles are a very simple install. They are right at the back of the pipes, easy to tell if they're in there. Yours are a different model, but I would think they are similarly constructed. The sound can definitely be tamed.

·
Registered
2011 Honda Shadow RS
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks all. I was hoping it was just that easy. The Cobra site was down yesterday, so I wasn't able to find the I formation I needed, so this is extremely helpful. I don't mind the rumble, but these pipes are just all noise, so if I can quiet them down so I can ride to work at 6am, that would be great. Close to stock works for me.

Dan

·
Registered
2009 Shadow Spirit 750
116 Posts
I have the Cobra Boulevard drag pipes on mine. Without the baffles they are obnoxiously loud. I run with baffles in but no fiberglass packing. It's a nice rumble, has a good sound but quiet enough that I don't feel bad about cruising through a neighborhood early in the morning. If I put the packing in I'm sure it would approach stock sound levels. The baffles are a very simple install. They are right at the back of the pipes, easy to tell if they're in there. Yours are a different model, but I would think they are similarly constructed. The sound can definitely be tamed.
I wish they had this option available for the V&H short shots. PO of mine put them on. Look nice IMHO...but even after I put the baffles back in that they came with... still a little too loud for my taste.

·
Registered
2011 Honda Shadow RS
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I spoke with a representative. from Cobra, and he provided me with the part number for my exhaust of 9015Q. He said the bike will still be loud, but should take some of the bite out of it. So, I ordered two of them and will promptly install them on the bike, and will run like that until I can locate a set of stock pipes.

Dan

Reactions: stanman13

·
Registered
2009 Shadow Spirit 750
116 Posts
Heh. That’s kind of implied. Like buying a car with a big V8 and then wishing it had better gas mileage… 😉 I look at these awesome-looking little ‘can’ mufflers and just KNOW they’ll deafen you. Comes with the territory!
Yeah... they weren't my choice either... were put on by the original owner of mine. Personally I'd almost rather have stock exhaust than these short shots.. They look great, but after several miles on the highway the sound level gets old real quick. I'd really like to have a set of V&H Cruisers exhaust. Had those on my 07 Shadow and loved the lower tone. A little louder than stock but not obnoxiously loud.
**hint hint... anyone here has a set in good condition... I'd be willing to do a straight across trade 😁

·
Registered
2011 Honda Shadow RS
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I called Cobra earlier this week, and the guy was able to help me with some quiet core baffles. These things are not quiet. At idle, the bike sounds the same. When riding, it might be slightly quieter, but still too loud. I'm going to start looking for a stock exhaust. I don't care for loud motorcycles. In my experience, loud bikes don't save lives. Cagers are just as happy trying to kill me on the loud Honda as they are on my quiet bikes. I, personally, like to hear what's going on around me, and not ticking off my neighbors. So, once I find a stock set of pipes at a reasonable price, y'all will see my cobra pipes for sale.

Dan

·
Registered
2013 Honda Shadow Phantom 750
3,816 Posts
It’s a shame that with so many aftermarket exhaust systems that are made for these bikes nobody makes a quiet exhaust.

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: stanman13

·
Registered
'83 VT750C
2,619 Posts
Because VERY few people have ‘quiet’ in mind when changing the exhaust on their motorcycles… 😉 Of course, it’s more the quality of the sound than the quantity. I don’t believe in the ‘loud bikes save lives’ thing, either, but I do love me a good, deep, rumbly exhaust note!

·
Registered
2013 Honda Shadow RS
1 Posts
Hey Dan
Where are you located? I just got a 2013 RS for Christmas and have been looking for cobra pipes. I have a stock exhaust if you’d be interested in trading

·
Registered
2011 Honda Shadow RS
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm in Kenosha, WI. Man, I would certainly welcome the trade, but both of our bikes would be down for a while, while we get pipes uninstalled and delivered. If we can make it work, that would be awesome.

Dan

1 - 13 of 13 Posts