Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
howdy, I received new cobra floorboards today and bolted 'em on just now. there was a small problem which I haven't solved permanently yet. the '04 shadow aero with vance and hines aftermarket header and muffler on the right side is apparently further out than the stock equipment and the floorboard frame contacts the header and would dent it if fastened tightly. I stuck 4 fender washers between the frame and mount to temporarily shim it out so there is no contact. however, that leaves the bolt slightly too short and I will try to find a longer one so when I put my 300 pound weight on, it won't pull out. otherwise it installed well enough. I haven't driven it yet since install but have raised the brake pedal some and shortened the adjustment rod at the brake. I hope that will let me keep my foot under the brake pedal until needing to apply the brake. I actually use the rear brake very little so it shouldn't be major problem.

ken

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
If you can shim it to avoid contact with the pipes do it. I am going another route which involves re-fabricating the Cobra bracket. It is a much more expensive solution, but my problem is vertical clearance not horizontal like yours, so I am kind of stuck. Just make sure that bracket does not come into contact with the pipes or else you will get a hot foot. ;).

·
Registered
79 Posts
Floorboard Extenders

Don't know how the Cobra brackets are set up, but when I had my Road King, I intentionally wanted the floorboards moved farther out. Kits are sold that move the boards out about 1". Basically all they are is a metal sleeve, with the center drilled out, and 1" longer bolts. Amazing difference. You should be able to pick up what you need at any good hardware store.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
howdy, I rode the bike with the new floorboards and am a bit disappointed in that they seem to raise my feet just enough to have the bars interfere with my knees when turning. I expect it is that my heels were hanging down from the peg and lowering my knees somewhat. that is no longer happening so I get the interference. I can swing my knee out and let the bar come inside it but it means another adaption.

ken

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Yup. That will happen. You've already mentioned you're ~300lbs, so I'm guessing you're not 5'8" tall?

I'm 6'3" and ~275. I tried everything I could to make my '05 Shadow 750 fit me, including a Corbin seat, floorboards with FWD controls, raised handlebars, different grips, etc. After riding several other bikes - then riding the Shadow 1000 miles to Sturgis, SD and back - I realized my bike is just simply too physically small for me.

I went with a '99 Valkyrie Interstate. I had also considered a used Road King, Road Glide, or an Indian Chieftain. The Chieftain is still my #1, but I cannot justify the money while living in Minneapolis. The Valk was 90% of the comfort for 25% of the money.

Don't be afraid to ride other bikes to find what you like and what you don't like.

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
Brother Bill has a '09 VT750C2F, as I recall.
Really sweet, pampered bike. Low miles. Runs great.Not a scratch on it.
Mustang wide touring seat, Cobra floorboards, Memphis shield.
All like new.

But as soon as the weather gets warmer, somebody gonna getta bargain!

Because we ain't young, small people.
And even with modifications, it ain't comfortable for us.

At 6'2" and 265#, any more than 35-40 miles at a time turns into: not so much fun.
We swap up, if going farther....just to stretch out more, on the FlyinJenni.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Two huge things i find wrong with your post:

1. Why are you standing on your floorboards? Only the weight of your legs should rest on them.
2. Why the HELL are you ignoring the MOST important brake on the bike?

·
Registered
5,282 Posts

1. Why are you standing on your floorboards? Only the weight of your legs should rest on them.
I put my weight on the floorboards all the time. You don't really need to 'stand' though, just rise slightly off the seat. Here's what the DMV Motorcycle manual in NY says;

Try to avoid obstacles by slowing or going around them. If you must go over the obstacle, first, determine if it is possible. Approach it at as close to a 90º angle as possible. Look where you want to go to control your path of travel. If you have to ride over the obstacle, you should:

• Slow down as much as possible before contact.
  • Make sure the motorcycle is straight.
  • Rise slightly off the seat with your weight on the footpegs to absorb the shock with your knees and elbows, and avoid being thrown off the motorcycle.
  • Just before contact, roll on the throttle slightly to lighten the front end.

·
Registered
1996 Honda VT 1100C2 ACE
248 Posts
howdy, I rode the bike with the new floorboards and am a bit disappointed in that they seem to raise my feet just enough to have the bars interfere with my knees when turning. I expect it is that my heels were hanging down from the peg and lowering my knees somewhat. that is no longer happening so I get the interference. I can swing my knee out and let the bar come inside it but it means another adaption.

ken
I would raise the bars using longer risers or different bars. When I bought my bike the P.O. was apparently short and I would have to swing my knee out as to not interfere with turning at low speed. Yes I thought I could adapt and did for awhile untill one day it got me in trouble. Just saying.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts

Do you have to be a jerk all the time? You are wrong just about every time you post here and are rude about it to boot.
The issue is weight has already been addresses.
The front brake is far more effective than the rear. Much more braking force originates in the front brake. If you would like to demonstrate this to yourself,head on on your bike, get it up to 50 or 60 and then stomp on the rear brake. Let us know how that goes.
Based on your apparent ignorance of motorcycle operations you should take or retake the basic motorcycle safety course.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Do you have to be a jerk all the time? You are wrong just about every time you post here and are rude about it to boot.
I'm normally very non-confrontational and wont say anything, but I agree. It seems like in every post I've seen from him he is either trying to ruffle some feathers or he is just plain rude...

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
I'm normally very non-confrontational and wont say anything, but I agree. It seems like in every post I've seen from him he is either trying to ruffle some feathers or he is just plain rude...
I'm turning into a cranky old man with little tolerance for rudeness, especially here where people are trying to share their love of motorcycling and help one another with questions. So you keep being nice and I'll be confrontational:).

BTW, I really like the black and yellow color scheme on your bike.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
The issue is weight has already been addresses.
The front brake is far more effective than the rear. Much more braking force originates in the front brake. If you would like to demonstrate this to yourself,head on on your bike, get it up to 50 or 60 and then stomp on the rear brake. Let us know how that goes.
Based on your apparent ignorance of motorcycle operations you should take or retake the basic motorcycle safety course.
Fine, disconnect the rear brake on your bike and ill skip coming to your funeral. You also mistake my disbelief for rudeness because you are a sour old man and think you know more. You could NOT be more wrong about the brake issue.

An excerpt from Motorcycle Braking: 15 Questions and Answers - webBikeWorld

7. In an emergency do we concentrate on using staged braking on both front and back brakes?

This is a controversial subject. Some experienced riders reckon that, even in an emergency when research has shown that panic tends to decrease your riding skills, they can apply the back brake perfectly with no loss of braking on the front.

Well, research has shown that the average rider can only properly concentrate on the use of one brake in an emergency so, unless you think you're road motorcycling's equivalent of a top motorcycle racer, we would suggest that you concentrate on getting the best out of one brake.

Of the front and rear brake on a motorcycle, the one to concentrate on in an emergency is the front brake because if you get that one wrong, lock it up and don't correct that problem then you're going to crash.

The American Motorcycle Safety Foundation teaches their instructors that "in an emergency braking situation you should apply the back brake hard and let the back wheel slide if it wants to. This way you can concentrate on what is happening up front; there's enough to think about in the use of the front brake."

·
Registered
110 Posts
"Fine, disconnect the rear brake on your bike and ill skip coming to your funeral."

Yet more proof that you're a jerk. You hardly contribute to this forum wihtout saying something in a rude manner. As my father likes to say, Jesus loves you...but everyone else thinks you're an @$$hole. lol

You're correct about the rear brake. I was trained in the full length MS course that I took at my university, a full semester class, to use both brakes always, unless on a curve. If on a curve you use rear braking if needed.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
If you would like to demonstrate this to yourself,head on on your bike, get it up to 50 or 60 and then stomp on the rear brake. Let us know how that goes.
Actually the past 10,000 miles or so ive barely used the front brake, which is why the pads lasted over 35,000 miles. I use the rear brake solely about 95% of the time with great effect. Especially now that i have a rear disc.

Thats hilarious coming from you since you do not know a darn thing about me.

"Fine, disconnect the rear brake on your bike and ill skip coming to your funeral."

Yet more proof that you're a jerk. You hardly contribute to this forum wihtout saying something in a rude manner. As my father likes to say, Jesus loves you...but everyone else thinks you're an @$$hole. lol

You're correct about the rear brake. I was trained in the full length MS course that I took at my university, a full semester class, to use both brakes always, unless on a curve. If on a curve you use rear braking if needed.
So, calling the kettle black is a bad thing? How is it wrong that i refuse to bow to ignorance? The OP said he uses the rear brake very little and TDB basically said the rear brake is ineffective. Both are very bad habits to endorse.

I dont care if you think im an *******, i know im not so therefore you are wrong. I do know you need to partake in a chill pill. (shrug)

·
Registered
110 Posts
No one is asking you to "bow" to anyone. We, however, get the impression from your tone on this forum, that you believe we should all "bow" to your greatness. You may not be trying to convey this message... but this is how you come across. Just letting you know. I don't think your an @$$ hole. I don't know you enough to think anything. I do see what you post on here, and this is how you're presenting yourself.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Perception like possession is in the hands of the owner. So if you take me wrong, its not my fault, nor is it my duty to correct you. Especially on the internet where everyone is anonymous when it comes to tone, voice and inflection.

As for the OP, when he said "handle my 300#" means he is standing on them, because with your ass over the seat, even if you push up to go over an obstacle, physics dictates not all your weight is on the boards/pegs. Its impossible. So i asked, why he stood on them.

I could be wrong in what he meant, but if he thinks by raising his butt off the seat its putting his entire weight on the boards, im sorry but he is wrong.

On the brake issue, you obviously dont want to take my word, so heres the words of someone you guys usually listen to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQpJDux_M-w

And someone else

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MOQJr9ovY0

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
No one said anything about disconnecting the rear brake except you. Are you really that stupid!

As to me, I didn't say sour old man, I said cranky. Big difference. There is a book called a dictionary. Look up the definitions.

I'm done having this exchange with you. It's impossible to have a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
howdy, I guess I need to come back a little on the runaway thread here. first, I am not a newbie on motorcycles having several hundred thousand miles on them since my first two stroke 250 yamaha road bike of vintage 1964 or so(can't actually remember) in year 1966 or so. first , when I say I use mostly front brake that is under normal pre-planned circumstances and the main reason is that I downshift and let some braking occur with compression and add front brake as needed and then in more dire circumstances us both brakes simultaneously. I also do that to make the front tire wear more with intention to replace both with more even wear on front and back. again how I ride is not up for a vote and will not be changed by continuous nagging so to those nagging---get a life.
to the second of the issues that I can recall I was intending to answer. yes I am nearly three hundred pounds but not 5' 4" so my knee does get in the way of the bar now that my heel has been raised. the suggestion about perhaps different bars or perhaps a riser or offset , I had been thinking that might be the simplest answer and yes, I think the aero is a bit cramped in seating. I added a gel seat to rais me a little and may look for something thicker so I can move the rear up and back which will help. the scoot is new to me and I will either have to make some fitment adjustments or trade for a slightly different fit. I recently rod the newer ctx or dct 700 Honda with the auto shifting and found it to fit quite well. I went to the shop recently and suggested the price was a bit high and they offered to lower it by 400 bucks---pretty tempting now that I find this one not quite as good as I hoped. anyway, no rudeness intended, but it did seem there was at least one slightly unhumble reply to my thread.

ken

editing to add that i'm also not a novice to aggressively defensive driving having logged better than 2 million miles in trucking. no brag -just fact

1 - 20 of 24 Posts