Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a set of Cobra pipes I think I can get fairly cheap. So cheap, in fact, that I thought it would be a nifty April Fools gag to install them on my girlfriend's 750 ACE and watch her expression when she fires it up (I don't think she'll notice the switch, especially if I distract her a bit). My question is, do I have to re-jet the carbs to make this happen? Odds are, we'll have a good laugh, I'll throw the factory ones back on and sell the Cobras here or on ebay. She's been poking fun at the loud pipes on my new bike, which is what inspired this.

Again, what I need to know is: Would I harm the bike by installing these pipes but not re-jetting? If I have to re-jet, I'll likely take a pass.

·
Registered
423 Posts
strider,
If you don't leave them on for thousands of miles, you shouldn't do any major harm, but it seems like a lot of effort for an April Fools gag. You'll need to replace the exhaust gaskets each time you replace the pipes or you could do some serious damage - ie. burnt exhaust valves. Also, without rejetting, the bike may not run very well.

Brian

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Sneak a spark plug out of her bike when she's not looking. If it's cocoa brown, you'll have to rejet. If it's black and smells of gas, you won't. I added Vance & Hines to my ACE Tourer and didn't have to rejet.

·
Registered
342 Posts
If you're using the stock 1 1/2" header pipes and installing just slip on mufflers, then you don't need to re-jet the carbs. If you're replacing the entire system from the heads back, and you're switching from the stock
1 1/2 " header pipes to 2" pipes, then you need to re-jet. Cobra slip ons require replacement of both of the muffler gaskets, ($10.00 each at the dealer.) Jardine slip ons don't use any gaskets at all, they're a very snug fit.

·
Registered
‘00 Valkyrie Interstate, ‘01 Spirit 1100, 99 VLX
1,341 Posts
chicago said:
Sneak a spark plug out of her bike when she's not looking. If it's cocoa brown, you'll have to rejet. If it's black and smells of gas, you won't. I added Vance & Hines to my ACE Tourer and didn't have to rejet.
Are you sure of this guide to plugs? I always thought tan was a good color, and black and oily or smells of fuel meant things were too rich.

?????

CB

·
Registered
121 Posts
a lot of the guide is, how does the bike run?
Does it bog when you crack the throttle?
Does it fight when you roll on the throttle?
Does it die out at WOT?
You can tell a lot by how it runs.
You probably won't do damage, if it's a little lean and you don't ride it for lots of miles.
Sounds like a good gag to me :roll:

·
Registered
270 Posts
CleoBen said:
chicago said:
Are you sure of this guide to plugs? I always thought tan was a good color, and black and oily or smells of fuel meant things were too rich.

?????

CB
What hes saying is if you put on the aftermarket pipes , they normally run too lean so if your bike is running rich , its now going to be running leaner . So in theory it should now be "normalized" with new pipes, not needing the jet kit.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info, all. Now, I need to make sure they would fit. They're Cobra drag pipes that came off an 02 ACE. I'm dealing with an 03 ACE. Anyone know for sure?

·
Registered
5 Posts
When your done with those pipes...

Just another interested party here. I just got a set of V&H Classic II's for my VT1100 and my buddy said now he wants some more thunder out of his 2002 Shadow ACE 750, so he is on the look for a set of pipes. I stole mine barely used for $50, like I said...stole 'em, from a gent who said they were too loud for his taste...mmmmm tastes good to me. Let me know what you want for them if you decide to sell them. I am in sunny Hayward, California.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.