Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ride through the winter here in the mountains of Central Az; temps are frequently as low as 15 degrees in the mornings for three months. I don't suffer from the cold, but my hands do. Last winter I saw some discussion here about a product that fits over the grips that you slide your hands completely into like a sleeve for both, but I can't recall the name of the product or a vendor. I thought they were called Polar Guards, but when I Googled that name I really got nothing. Can someone here steer me to them? Thanks, Jon

·
Registered
23 Posts
Amazon.com: Polar Hands: Automotive

Polar Hands..... I've never heard of them, probably not needed here in P-cola, but if I get to ride a little further north, probably not a bad idea.
i tried some of these things before. I felt they were just awkward to use and did not feel as though they really did too much to help anyway. Other people swear by them.
i would say get a good pair of cold weather glove, heated grips or both if it bothers you that much.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i tried some of these things before. I felt they were just awkward to use and did not feel as though they really did too much to help anyway. Other people swear by them.
i would say get a good pair of cold weather glove, heated grips or both if it bothers you that much.
I've never heard anyone say they've found a glove that keeps their hands warm; has anyone found a glove or mitten that works at in quite cold temps?

·
Registered
581 Posts
I've never heard anyone say they've found a glove that keeps their hands warm; has anyone found a glove or mitten that works at in quite cold temps?
My first gear heated gloves will make your hands sweat in 20* weather at 80mph. With a nice little thermostat to adjust to your comfort. The gloves themselves are good enough down to 40* or so without the heaters.

They only lasted a season before the throttle hand stopped working, though. :(

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My first gear heated gloves will make your hands sweat in 20* weather at 80mph. With a nice little thermostat to adjust to your comfort. The gloves themselves are good enough down to 40* or so without the heaters.

They only lasted a season before the throttle hand stopped working, though. :(
I took a look at them just now on First Gear's webpage; do you have to have a heated coat or vest to plug them into? Did you test First Gear to see if they would take back the non-working glove? Jon

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
I've been using Gerbing G3 gloves now for about 3 years. The coldest I've taken off in was 16 degrees, and my hands stayed warm. They are expensive, but worth it.
+1. Good gloves, gauntlet type so they fit over my jacket sleeves. Have a pigtail hardwired to the battery, just plug them in and ride. I turn them off a few minutes before killing the engine. Don't know if it is really necessary, seems like the thing to do though.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
+1. Good gloves, gauntlet type so they fit over my jacket sleeves. Have a pigtail hardwired to the battery, just plug them in and ride. I turn them off a few minutes before killing the engine. Don't know if it is really necessary, seems like the thing to do though.
So, do both gloves have a long wire from the wrist all the way back to the battery? Surely not, but I've never seen the set-up. Can you describe the hook-up? Thanks, Jon

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
So, do both gloves have a long wire from the wrist all the way back to the battery? Surely not, but I've never seen the set-up. Can you describe the hook-up? Thanks, Jon

It goes from each wrist to a connector that's long enough to route to the bottom of your jacket. I plug mine into a controller that plugs into the bike.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I took a look at them just now on First Gear's webpage; do you have to have a heated coat or vest to plug them into? Did you test First Gear to see if they would take back the non-working glove? Jon
No, I haven't found the need for heated jackets... a couple of layers under a good leather jacket is enough. You have to buy an adapter cable that you run through your jacket to get from the gloves to the controller. It's a bit of a PITA, but it works.

I haven't looked into getting it replaced yet.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I also have Gerbing gloves, along with a Gerbing jacket and Gerbing heated socks for the cold weather.

The jacket itself plugs into the power source, but inside the jacket are (2) jacks for other items, (gloves, socks or pants).

The socks come with long-enough wires to pass through the pant leg and into the jacket.

The jacket has zippered sleeves, and when open, expose the jacks for the gloves to connect to.

I originally used the temperature controller, but now use a toggle switch mounted on my dash to flip the heat on or off.

No complaints with their quality or their customer service. Their prices, well, that's a different story.

·
Registered
843 Posts
A windshield that protects your hands from the wind will warm up your fingers. Wind dissipates your heat. No wind means the heat stays where it should for longer. Still, 15F/-9C is pretty cold. I do not think that grip warmers, a windshield and gauntlet gloves will be sufficient. You'll need heated gloves.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
The bride has home spun grip shields on her bike which help and my SlipStreamer windshield provides a little bit of wind/cold protection but all they do is delay the inevitable.

Heated grips are the cat's meow according to the kid who put them on his VRod. If we didn't have heat grip incompatible BrakeAways on both our Hondas, I'd make the leap before this winter.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.