Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have an '05 Aero 750 and ever since I bought it new I have had to choke it to get it to start when it's cold. When it's warmed up it starts fine. Are Honda's really this bad about starting even in the middle of summer? Or is there another problem I should be looking for?

·
Registered
335 Posts
As I understand it, Hondas are jetted to run really lean from the factory to meet emissions regulations. That makes them hard to start when it's cold. The choke is not like a choke on a car, it's a enrichment device... instead of restricting the airflow, the chokes on our bikes add extra gas to compensate for the lean carburetor settings. I lived in southern Cali and even on 95 degree afternoons if the bike hadn't been started within the last 2 or 3 hours it needed a little choke, for maybe as long as 30 seconds at the most, then it would run without it. I learned not to ease the choke in as the rpms climbed but rather wait till the engine started to rev up then push it all the way in all at once...otherwise it'd die, and then I'd flood it trying to re-start. I guess that was the long way of telling you it's normal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, thanks guys. It just seemed a little weird that a new Harley wouldn't have to be choked ever, even in winter. But, I gues Honda will always be Honda.

·
Registered
335 Posts
That might be because the new Harley is Fuel Injected and our poor Shadows are still running on carbs (or in my case, carb)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts