Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to ask about anyone who had a challenging time getting the seat to line up when installing throw over saddlebags under the seat, but I think I found my answer (trim the yoke).

So instead, let me ask about windshields. Right now, there is no windshield on my motorcycle and I am enjoying the ride just fine. I did go out on a rather cold day and did feel the weather sharply and cut the ride short. I have since added a leather jacket that, with a wool sweater underneath, has been pretty warm even with some heavy winds the last week or so.

Feeling the winds push the bike while riding at higher speeds (55+) made me questions how a large windshield, which seems like a potential sail, would affect bike stability versus a naked ride which would seem to allow the wind to pass through with less effect.

What is the effect to the ride with a windshield? Both in terms of staying warmer and in terms of bike stability in heavy winds?

Thanks.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I've had a windshield on my '06 Shadow Spirit since the day I bought it. I've considered taking it off. It certainly doesn't offer much in the way of warmth that I can tell, and it does cause some buffeting when it's windy outside, however I live in Florida and when I come home from riding and see all the bug splatter on the windshield I just can't imagine riding without it.

·
Premium Member
7,690 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I've got a Memphis fats 21" on my spirit and wouldn't want to be without it. Bugs, birds, and misc. road hazards are enough to make it worth any wind issues I may encounter. I took out a suicidal bird at about 60 on my old vlx with a windshield and just imagined what that would have felt like in the chin.

·
Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,106 Posts
When I bought the Bike, it had a windshield but wasn`t installed, I rode thattaway for a good bit, but...

I removed the windshield once, and reinstalled it immediately after returning home...
Once you put one on it will grow on you...

I removed the lowers once, reinstalled them too;)

Just a matter of wind, bugs and other things I`ve heard hit the shield, makes it more pleasant...
You have more than one opinion,
D

EDIT =>
Winter is upon us & I ride too...

·
Premium Member
8,930 Posts
Before I had a windshield, I didn't really think I needed one.. Then I got caught in the rain, so brought a lower profile windshield that I could easily see over while leaving me in the breeze..

The ride is so much better now.. As far as the wind, I really don't notice the effects of it to any real extent, anymore.. It's like sea-legs I suppose.. Sometimes I get back home after a 2-300 mile ride in windy conditions and I'm swaying on my feet like I have been out on a small boat all day..

I don't think the windshield makes such a huge difference, would be my point.. If it does, I don't really notice it to the point where it bothers me too much..

I say, if you think you need one, get one.. My guess, you'll love it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Birds! Good point. I was popped in the visor by big bus all through my ride today, had not thought about the suicidal birds.
I did have a ducking incident the first time I took the bike down the road when a turkey buzzard took off from some road kill and flew across my path from right to left.

Sounds like some good advice towards the windshield.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,690 Posts
Birds! Good point. I was popped in the visor by big bus all through my ride today, had not thought about the suicidal birds.
I did have a ducking incident the first time I took the bike down the road when a turkey buzzard took off from some road kill and flew across my path from right to left.

Thanks.
All bets are off with the buzzards. I'd say you'd be better off with a bull bar if you're getting into big game!

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I used to think that I would not want a windshield, but now that I have the Memphis Fats 21" I can't imagine riding without it.

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
I put a ton of miles on my bike before I got a short sporty looking windshield, bad head buffeting, crap still hitting me in the face shield. I broke down and bought a plexifairing III which is really too tall for me and I now look through it rather than over it. However there is absolutely no head buffeting now, the only draw back is if I get caught in the rain as the wind will clear the rain from the front of the shield but accumulates on the riders side of the shield. I removed the plexifairing for about two or 3 rides just for grins, and immediately put it back on, as without it I tend to ride more aggressively and at my age and slight stature, not short, but I'm very thin and being so aggressive in my ride heightens my chances of something untoward happening.
I'd trim the plexifairing but once cut, if it's not good the windshield would then be useless.
I see more and more older riders looking through instead of over. Maybe a new trend it starting. before the plexifairing I'd been hit by 25 bumble bees in one ride, my leather jacket looked like I'd been in a paint ball fight.
It's going to have to be a personal choice for each rider.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
I have been riding with a windshield that allows me to look over rather than through. I think I get enough wind where it counts (helmet / face) to keep the ride cool. I've ridden on a windy day at high speeds and really didn't think the windshield created any problems. I just went out on an early morning (50 degree F) ride yesterday and was glad to have the wind break. My hands and legs got a bit cold but the rest of me was just fine. Plus, picking bug parts out of zippers, nooks and crannies in your riding jacket gets old real fast.

·
Registered
365 Posts
The first time I rode in cold weather without a windshield, I was miserable, the cold wind cut right through my jacket and up under my helmet face shield. Went to the closest Honda dealer and now have a Memphis Shield. Vast improvement in comfort for me. And besides I think bikes look good with a wind shield.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
I agree with the rest of the forum. You take a few good size bugs to the body (or a bird, or road debris) and you'll wish you had a windshield. When I got my bike, it didn't have one. Was my very first purchase, and a quick one at that. Very rarely do I take it off and ride without it. I quickly remember why I put it on in the first place. IMO, go get one.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
Back in the 60's a friend and I had just bought new windshields for our 750's and the first night out for a cup of coffee we were heading home and he was in front, as we hit the super slab going about 50+ he all of a sudden hit the brakes and pulled over, I followed, he just sat there and didn't move so I parked the bike and walked up to see what the problem was and almost crapped my pants, there he sat looking at a piece of 2" angle iron about a foot long sticking in his windshield......:roll:, it evidently had flew off a flat bed that had just passed us, if he hadn't had the windshield it would have gone straight threw him, as it was only his pants changed color but he was ok, we rode home (17 miles) with that sticking out of the windshield, as far as I know that shield is still hanging on his garage wall...............
I have never ridden a bike all these years without a windshield, it really helps with bugs, rain, wind, birds.........and of course.........angle iron.........
That's my story and I'm sticking with it..............

·
Registered
126 Posts
Back in the 60's a friend and I had just bought new windshields for our 750's and the first night out for a cup of coffee we were heading home and he was in front, as we hit the super slab going about 50+ he all of a sudden hit the brakes and pulled over, I followed, he just sat there and didn't move so I parked the bike and walked up to see what the problem was and almost crapped my pants, there he sat looking at a piece of 2" angle iron about a foot long sticking in his windshield......:roll:, it evidently had flew off a flat bed that had just passed us, if he hadn't had the windshield it would have gone straight threw him, as it was only his pants changed color but he was ok, we rode home (17 miles) with that sticking out of the windshield, as far as I know that shield is still hanging on his garage wall...............
I have never ridden a bike all these years without a windshield, it really helps with bugs, rain, wind, birds.........and of course.........angle iron.........
That's my story and I'm sticking with it..............
DAMMIT MAN!!! Nuff Said, my windshield will stay in place. :D

·
Premium Member
8,072 Posts

Thanks.
A windshield will definitely help with those big bus popping you in your visor.:mrgreen::lol::lol::lol:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.