Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spring is finally here, but up north here its still pretty cold. Problem is that I haven't been riding for very long and one week from now I have to ride my Spirit 750 for a good 4 or 5 hours with highs in the low 40's. Any advice on to get through without getting too cold would be helpful.

·
Registered
249 Posts
You need layers that you can add and remove .as needed. A rain suit will help keep you dry and also break the wind. A good pair of gloves are also
required.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
You almost can't dress warm enough for a 4 or 5 hour trip in 40 degree weather without heated clothing. I do a half hour to one hour all the time
with full helmet, winter lined ce jacket, overpants and heavy gloves and do OK, but I'm too much of a wimp to try 4 or 5 hours.

·
Registered
111 Posts
First question: How do you know what the weather will be then?

That aside, if the highs are really in the low 40s, you are going to get cold. Very cold. I've never used heated clothing, but I've used heated grips, which help. But you're really just putting off the inevitable.

Start with poly pro or equivalent long underwear underwear. Wool (or synthetic wool socks). Put footwarmers in your boots and hand warmers in your gloves. Heavy fleece pants covered by chaps. Wool shirt, covered by heavy fleece jacket, covered by leather motorcycle jacket. Don't dare try this without insulated motorcycle gloves with gauntlets. Wind resistant baclava, or a neoprene face shield.

You will look like the Michelin Man. And you will still get cold if the temperatures drop into the 30s. Figure on getting off and stamping your feet every 90 minutes or so.

Better yet, borrow someone's car.

·
Registered
305 Posts
what i use...

Full Fleece Body Siut (under Clothing)
Pants
Chaps
Military Grade Combat Boots (good for riding Crap for the cold)
shirt (normally under Fleece)
Leather riding Jacket (lined)
a tight Boliclava (skimask made for cold weather riding)
a fleece Neck Gator
a helmet Liner
and helmet ( i dont own a full face i have a shorty half shell)
and my dads riding Gloves... ( he dont need them)
and i normally have to stop every 2 hours to get warm and regain feeling in my feet

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
My typical weekend ride in the winter is about 6 hours in 20-45 degree F weather. Here's a link to a post I did last winter describing what I wear. Winter gear

Happy Trails!

sanoke

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
RookE said:
Spring is finally here, but up north here its still pretty cold. Problem is that I haven't been riding for very long and one week from now I have to ride my Spirit 750 for a good 4 or 5 hours with highs in the low 40's. Any advice on to get through without getting too cold would be helpful.
As others have mentioned 4 to 5 hrs is an can be along time when it's cold, make plenty of stops to keep circulation going, I guess do to an age thing my machoisim is ca poot, so I use an electric jacket liner from Warm n Safe and also electric gloves, plus thermo's on the legs under jeans and chaps and a good pair of boots, I also use Sagebrush Engine Guard Covers and have a windshield and lowers so can ride quite awhile without getting cold, also use a neoprene mask or the Bacala, with a thermostat for the electrics I can dial in what I need, I have found out that as long as I can keep my core nice and warm it helps with the rest of my body, I can actually ride with just a T shirt, long sleeve shirt, electric jacket liner under my leather jacket and be quite comfortable, I hate layering so much I can't move, this stuff isn't real cheap but I feel I earned the right to be comfortable when cold weather riding....Just a Senior, Senior Citizen.. :lol:

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
What is cold weather riding? Seems like I remember that from my younger days in Michigan.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.