Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

· Registered
42 Posts
Ohio: I rode a little last Tuesday (low 50s) and hope to tomorrow (47). So long as there is no salt on the roads and there is no chance of ice. We got salted once, but since have had some good rains to wash it off. Last year I rode the day before Thanksgiving and on New Year's Eve.

· Registered
765 Posts
I rode Mon, Tues, and Thursday, but wimped out on Wednesday. It was the same temperature, about 21 degrees F in the morning when I headed for work. on both Wednesday and Thursday, but Thursday was sunny and expected to warm up, where Wednesday was gray and light rain was predicted. I can handle the cold a lot better than the wet.

My scoot's engine did NOT like the cold temps, even with the choke knob pulled out, she wanted to die. The gas in that bike has been sitting around a month, which I think is the problem, the most volatile fraction tends to evaporate off. Misfiring from marginal gas is more of a problem in a lightweight single than in more massive engines.

The coldest it been here ky so fare is 9 with wind chill factored in an I was rising that day. Hands got little numb bust still loved it
9 degrees C is about 48 F, which is a very warm winter day where I am from.

If you are riding in 9 degree F temps, you are a tougher man than me!

· Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
3,183 Posts
I rode mine to work yesterday. I rode another bike to work today, it was colder, low 40s today. I rode the Spirit this evening. I knew the temps would drop quick so I wore my chaps and my leather jacket. I was plenty warm.

· Registered
2002 honda shadow 750 spirit
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Howdy Matthew!

Where you at?

Here in Central Texas we're able to ride pretty much year-round.
I'm in middle of kentucky and we get some cold weather it's 3:12 am about to roll to work and is 29 out feels like 21 I just put tape over top of visor been having wind leaking in freezing my forehead. Little bit of tape for quick fix.

· Registered
'97 Spirit 1100 - Chandler, AZ
636 Posts
Here in the metro-PHX area we've been starting out in the high 30's/low 40's and 71-ish for the afternoon highs. (~4C to 22C for our metric friends)
Exactly why we all put up with the triple digit heat June-Sept, reaping the benefits now! 🌵

Food Tableware Drinking straw Juice Ingredient

· Registered
2013 Honda Shadow Phantom 750
4,660 Posts
When the morning temps drop below 60* I stop commuting to work with the bike. It’s just more hassle than I care to deal with at 4am.

I will ride during the day, it’s strange how much warmer 50* is when the sun is out, when I have the opportunity and the weather cooperates.

I ride for enjoyment so if I am not gonna enjoy the ride I just don’t ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
503 Posts
We are having a heat wave here in south east KY today. When i jumped on the bike this morning at 6:00 AM it was 31 degrees F. It's 53 degress F now and sunny. PERFECT riding weather!
You do not need $1000 worth of cold weather gear to ride in cold temps. If you invest in a set of wind/rain proof jacket/pants/gloves, slightly oversize, you can just wear normal clothes underneath in layers. It's the wind that sucks the heat out of your body. A windshield is probably the best thing to help keep the wind off your core. My commute is 44 miles one way so I have to dress warmer than most would. As I have gotten older (63 now...) my body does not tolerate the cold as well as it once did.

I may extend my riding season this year for one reason: To save money on gas. Though my Nissan Altima will consistently get 34 MPG on my commute, my Aero gets 50-53 MPG which over the long haul is more money in my pocket for other things.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts