Honda Shadow Forums banner
41 - 60 of 92 Posts

· Registered
2013 Honda Shadow Phantom 750
4,801 Posts
-40C/-40F this morning with a windchill of -50C/-58F. Not a lot of fun out there.
WOW!!! Man that’s cold.

You and Santa Clause got everything about ready???

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
785 Posts
It's interesting to see the WIDE range of temperatures that folks here consider relevant to a discussion of cold. We have folks talking about drawing a lower limit anywhere from 50F to 20F or even lower.

I think it's interesting to consider that the WINTER rating for engine oil is done at ZERO degrees Fahrenheit. This means that number in front of the "W", can be pretty much ignored by most of us motorcycle riders.

How about THIS solution for winter riding?:

Outerwear White Product Black Sleeve

· Administrator
1997 Valkyrie Standard
6,300 Posts

· Registered
44 Posts
I got 50 miles in today, December 8, in Ohio. It was about 42 F (5.5 C). I wore a shirt, sweatshirt, Carhartt, winter gloves, neck gaiter, jeans, and rain pants and jacket. Was quite comfy, but did have to keep my helmet visor cracked a bit because the vents weren't adequate to prevent fogging. I had bought a pinlock insert when I bought my helmet, but it turned out to be for another size helmet and I haven't bought one to fit yet.

· Registered
68 Posts
My Bike Hates the cold weather Mostly because I have 20W50 full Synthetic in her. It gets 118+ here in the summer time, I'm not going to change out her Oil Just because the outside temp drops to 32. I ride a 1985 Honda Shadow Vt500c with just over 16,000 miles on her. Every Morning I have to go outside and Jump her, with my Battery Jumper because she's too cold to turn over.
She's fully covered in the rainy season. The bike came with a Expensive Rain Guard Cover Made for her. And Luckily Even after I added the Soft Saddle bags and the Windshield the cover still fits over it all.
I bought 2 Fieldsheer Jackets from eBay 1 Brand new with Tags for $17.50 + shipping #1 All Weather Rain Guard insulated the Jacket weighs almost 9 lbs. the other for $34. + shipping This one is a Poker Run Fieldsheer Jacket for summer time runs.
I'm about to turn 61 and I ride year round, I have over 11yrs without a Motorcycle accident so far.

· Registered
654 Posts
It's interesting to see the WIDE range of temperatures that folks here consider relevant to a discussion of cold. We have folks talking about drawing a lower limit anywhere from 50F to 20F or even lower.

I think it's interesting to consider that the WINTER rating for engine oil is done at ZERO degrees Fahrenheit. This means that number in front of the "W", can be pretty much ignored by most of us motorcycle riders.

How about THIS solution for winter riding?:

View attachment 305794
Looks dangerous , control wise ...,

· Registered
503 Posts
Well it was 15 degrees this morning in southeast KY. So Trinity stayed in the garage, and I took the Altima with heated seats and steering wheel...:cool:

· Registered
1999 Honda Shadow A.C.E. VT750CD2X
45 Posts
Well I'm still riding about every day but look forward to warmer weather. Who all is still out there riding?
MEMPHIS: I let my bike sit for a bit and can't crank her up but I do. I rode last year. It was a bit intimidating getting her started when the temp dropped at night. I had to hit the throttle a couple of times.

I recently bought handlebar mits and they working OK and with gloves on work well. They are a tight so I suggest buying a big size. Last year wore gloves only and I was cold. I learned to up on a baklava along with my full face for neck coverage.

I'm investing in a faring that I will have to customize.
I have researched that there are covers that can be placed over crashbars to block wind for the legs. I would like to get something plastic and aerodynamic.

· Registered
68 Posts
MEMPHIS: I let my bike sit for a bit and can't crank her up but I do. Like last year.
I recently bought handlebar mits and they working OK. Last year wore gloves and I was cold. I learned to up on a baklava along with my full face for neck coverage.
I have researched that there are covers that can be placed over crashbars to block wind for the legs. I would like to get something plastic and aerodynamic.
There called Lower fairing wind deflectors:

\

· Registered
2001 Shadow Spirit 750
2,219 Posts
MEMPHIS: I let my bike sit for a bit and can't crank her up but I do. Like last year.
I recently bought handlebar mits and they working OK. Last year wore gloves and I was cold. I learned to up on a baklava along with my full face for neck coverage.
Post a pic or two. I thought I was the only one out there riding with mits... :p
Tire Wheel Christmas tree Vehicle Automotive lighting

· Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,938 Posts
After this leaves outta here the temps will DROP...
13 predicted for the low Thursday I think...
Then of course there`s wind chill factor...
I Do NOT think I`ll be Riding much this week :(

Merry Christmas
Ann & Dennis
Broke biker Ministry

· Registered
68 Posts
I'm Not Looking forward to Next week's weather at all, Heavy rain for most of the week with temps between 30-40f, I'm dealing with the cold but when you add rain to it It just feels miserably worse. Thank fully I have my Frogg Toggs rain gear and I bought it oversized to go over my Jackets and heavy pants. I even have the Frogg Toggs Boot coverings
Well Merry Christmas to all and a Happy New Year!

41 - 60 of 92 Posts