Honda Shadow Forums banner

Comparison question between H and H

5K views 85 replies 21 participants last post by  Rocketmouse77 
A stock touring Harley of the modern era can put on miles after miles after miles with just maintenance. I've done it, I had an Evo Electra-Glide that I personally put about 80k miles on. The more performance mods that are done to it, the less reliable it will be. That's true for all motors. Myself I would not buy one that someone else has hot-rodded.

I might be missing something here, I thought that Harleys are push rod engines, and the cams are gear driven one to the other.
I have a friend with a "bored" Harley that has an over-heating problem.
That could be because with the bore job he also raised the compression.
Something you could ask the owner about (compression ratio) and why the over-bore.
Mag wheels are good, lets you run tubeless tires.
jmo,
Twin Cam 88 engines had chain driven cams.

Reactions: Kenstone
Harley has the cachet but a GL1800 2005-2008 would cost only around $8-10k. I always enjoy the GL ads that state "low miles" only 100,000. I am a bit prejudiced since my 1978 GL has 500,000 kms. The only problem I have with GL is they are sooooo boring. Go for a short ride and end up coming home in two weeks after crossing the country.
Yeah, I've had a couple of Harleys, including one of the touring models, which I rode the goodness right out of. They were great bikes that gave me good service. But if I were looking for a touring bike right now, I don't think that would be it. I might go for a Wing. Or maybe if I could find a nice Valkyrie Interstate...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.