Honda Shadow Forums banner

41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
The plugs look okay, slightly wet but I'm unsure if the oil I applied with the compression test aren't responsible for that. I will need tools to adjust the mixture screw, according to the service: Pilot screw wrench, tachometer, vacuum pump.
Pilot Screw Adjustment (service manual)
(1) Turn the pilot screw (with a pilot screw wrench) clockwise until it seats lightly...
(2) warm up the engine...
(3) ...connect a tachometer...
(4) ...disconnect the pair control valve vacuum hose...connect the vacuum pump to the pair control valve vacuum hose joint. etc

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I did not replace the needle/seat because I thought (based on the input I had been given) cleaning them would suffice. I will definitely take under advisement what you have pointed out and hopefully positive results are forthcoming.

·
Registered
39 Posts
OK, how low is 'low'? Try putting a little engine oil in the sparkplug hole, turn the engine over a few times to spread the oil around and then retry your compression test. If the low compression is caused by the rings the reading will come up for a moment, if it is a valve or head gasket problem oil won't seal it up and the reading will stay the same

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I was reading, trying to get a better understanding the theory of carburetors when I came across this passage:

"If a full tank of gas in the evening turns into a half tank by morning, check your oil. It it's thin and smells like gas, change it and 'replace your float valve.'"

I think the circumstances are similar enough to acknowledge it as the same point you continually stress.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I know they are the same. I was acknowledging your point.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
It took a while but I finally received the tool I needed to access my air/mixture screw and I did as you suggested. I am happy to say that apparently was the solution. I also cleaned the carb again and wire brushed the plugs. I've taken two 10 mile test rides and all appears to be well. Needless to say I appreciate your help and suggestions.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was going to ask the same thing. Maybe do another comp test with the battery jumped with a car battery and see if the pressures are better. That way you get the fastest crank speed and will get a more accurate reading. Use oil on the second try if it is still low. Then tell us the results. Remember open throttle. I did mine with closed throttle, and then open throttle, and picked up over 50 pounds.

I don't remember your bike but it may have adjustable valves which would be the first thing to consider.
Hey..... do not jump from a car battery... way too many amps.... just put a charger on....

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
15,303 Posts
That's funny about too many amps. The starter will only draw what it demands at the time. The voltage would damage things if you were to put a 24 volt source to a 12 volt system, but available amps is a good thing.
Just think of your House circuits. They usually can deliver 15 to 20 amps at 120 volts. If you plug in your cell phone charger that only needs 1 amp to work, it doesn't fry the snot out of it. Or a light bulb that needs only 1 or 2 amps, etc. But if your toaster needs 10 amps it is there to be used.

·
Registered
23 Posts
That's funny about too many amps. The starter will only draw what it demands at the time. The voltage would damage things if you were to put a 24 volt source to a 12 volt system, but available amps is a good thing.
Just think of your House circuits. They usually can deliver 15 to 20 amps at 120 volts. If you plug in your cell phone charger that only needs 1 amp to work, it doesn't fry the snot out of it. Or a light bulb that needs only 1 or 2 amps, etc. But if your toaster needs 10 amps it is there to be used.
I was told never boost a bike from a car or truck... it can hurt the regulator or something.... it made since to me... I’m no expert... in fact my 02 shadow 750.. won’t start..I can’t figure it out...I am in need of a expert...

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
15,303 Posts
If you just connect your bike battery in parallel with a non running car battery, you have a healthy 12 volt battery helping your weak 12 volt battery so it will not harm anything. But If the car is running, it raises the charge voltage maybe up to 14 to 15 volts and could possibly cause a problem with the regulator . A weak battery will run you in circles with a no start as it may have a weak spark and crank speed .

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
15,303 Posts
My bike is a 1983 750 . Oldie but goodie. Runs good but is starting to use some oil.
I am getting old so just enjoy local trips.
And, welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey thanks... I got this 02 shadow spirit 750 for a thousand dollars.. a week later I ride it to Cincinnati from lake Cumberland.. 4 hours there 4 hours back.. it rode flawlessly.. well I bought it to ride to school... during the first semester I had rode it to Cincinnati 3 more times.. well one day it was acting like it was out of fuel.. then straightened up... it did that a few times.. it also acted like something was getting hot and shutting it down.. let it set a few it would fire up .. one day I check the oil ... the case full of fuel.. the float.. took everything apart cleaned engine out replaced bottom of carb.. now won’t start .. well it will start a little but I have no idea... I need a pro to look at it

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
15,303 Posts
Check to see if the plugs are wet since the carbs were spilling over.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Check to see if the plugs are wet since the carbs were spilling over.
They are wet.... I’ve been looking it over and doing. Some research.. I’m taking the valve covers off to see if the cables are sticking open... I took the exhaust off a fe minutes ago it had fuel in it...weird right...tomorrow the covers will be off and j will holler back...!!!?

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
15,303 Posts
Why do you think you will find cables inside the valve covers?
Unless you have a compression issue don't take them off yet.
Make sure the vent hose that is connected between carbs is open to the open air. If you have one carb there is still a vent hose off a nipple on the bowl area.That can pressurize the float bowl and cause a spill over internally if it is plugged. If you have a fuel pump it could be too high pressure. The float level may be too high.

41 - 60 of 76 Posts