Honda Shadow Forums banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Before it would not start at all... it would sometime bog down like it was out of fuel.... die .. then start back ... then it happened more often... almost like something was getting hot... cause it got to where it would start up right away.. you had to give it a few... like ten minutes or so... I always kept an eye on fluid .. never ran it low... well .. the oil and water was never low...any way I have changed any jets just cleaned the carbs .. do I still need to sync them...

·
Registered
955 Posts
I would suspect a plugged or mis-routed vent line in the fuel system. either the tank vent hose or the carb float bowl vent hose. Tank vent plugged usually will run a few miles until gravity (or the fuel pump,,,) can't overcome the vacuum in the tank. Can also cause flooding, especially on a hot day when the tank vapors build up enough pressure to cancel the vacuum, The pressure can force it's way past the needle and seat. If it dies while riding, stop and open the fuel cap, see if it runs for a while again.
The carb bowl vent plugged will cause excess pressure in the float bowl which can force fuel into the intake causing excess richness and dying at stops. have had cases where someone saw them hanging below the bike and thought they were supposed to be connected to each other. or the hoses simply got mis-routed and pinched shut while doing other maintenance or an insect built a nest in the hose...

·
Registered
23 Posts
I stuck a wire 12 inches up the tube at the bottom of the tank... how much further you think I will have to go to get to the other end

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
15,303 Posts
The valves will not cause too much fuel.
A compression test will tell you the heath of each cylinder. Do it with the throttle open.
Here is a video on floats=

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thank you.... I put new float valve and cleaned everything really well...but I did not know about adjusting the float like that...I get in too big of a hurry...

Attachments

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
15,303 Posts
Just eyeball across the top of the float as you hold the carb body at 45 degrees so it doesn't push hard on the valve spring. With a scale in MM see if it is close to the correct figure. Some floats don't have metal tabs to bend, only plastic, so then you replace the float.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
15,303 Posts
If you open the throttle it may get up higher. Then try some ATF and test again.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts