Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I called Dynojet today to see what they recommended for their cobra kits that call for a stock air filter. The guy told me that the K&N air filter drop in doesn't affect the air flow enough to change the jetting.

I told him I had a 93 1100 with the cobra drag pipes with almost no baffle. I told him how my 170 jet seemed too rich and how it's running well with the 165s in. I told him I had some de-accell popping, and he told me that richening up the AF screw could make it worse... which contradicts everything I have ever heard.

He also told me that the main jet determines the richness/leaness of the entire spectrum, which makes sense to me, however, he told me that at closed throttle the needle is plugging the main. So really, the main doesn't come into play at closed throttle. But he then told me it makes sense that the 170 jet caused my flooding on hot start. But, wait, he just told me it was plugged at closed throttle...

So, long story short, I got nowhere, except he told me the K&N filter doesn't have that large of an effect.....

·
Registered
256 Posts
Sounds like you were talking to a salesman, not a tech.:roll: Salesman typically have just enough information about the products they sell to sound like they know what they're talking about. I'd call back and ask to talk to somebody else.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Ditch the Dynojet all together and go with Factory Pro. Much more knowledgeable in my experience and a better kit to boot. Dynojet tries to cover the entire spectrum with their jet and needle (as you found out) which flies in the face of the carb design. Factory Pro includes a variety of pilot jets (which you need).

·
Registered
302 Posts
I see a lot of folks complaining about popping on decel. Same on some car forums I've frequented. When you go to a more open exhaust, popping is more noticeable. Even a stock setup pops but you don't hear it because of all the baffling. If I didn't get some pops out of my bike (or my car) when I'm using the motor to slow me down, I'd feel cheated.

I agree with DJ, richening up your idle mixture can leave more unburned fuel in the pipes on decel and can add to popping.

I've had good luck with DJ kits but yes they do need some fine tuning. They usually come with multiple main jets and your choice of several needle height settings. Gotta dial them in to match your setup. I had an awful time with straight K&Ns and a removed airbox, never could get it right through all the powerband. Maybe the drop in K&Ns have less effect.

I was looking a the DJ troubleshooting guide. between idle and redline, there are four factors that affect performance, and they all overlap. mixture screw, pilot air jet, needle, and main jet. getting them all right can be a challenge.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Im having probs with Dynojet also, need a replacement needle, they wont sell it to me until I mail my defective one back, and that would mean my daily rider would need to be down for 1-2 weeks waiting on a needle to get there and back in the mail.

hows that for customer service

·
Registered
302 Posts
Sounds bad. Maybe you should try another outfit like Camo2 said.

What's wrong with the needle? is it a visible problem like a bend or something? Maybe they'll settle for an emailed photo and a promise to send the bad one back...after they send you a good one to install.

Edit: If you don't mind removing the carbs a couple more times, you can run with one of the old stock needles in there til you get the fresh one.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Yeah, they told me I'd have to mail them in too when I called asking to buy JUST the needle... I can get main jets from a source I get my old KZ parts from for 1.57/ea. Figured I'd grab the DJ needles and do that, instead of paying 80 for the kit (good thing they give me the screw and drill bit, don't know what I'd do without them! :) )

Well, I have my pilots on order locally....going up one step to see what it does. I'm guessing 4-5 turns out with my 42's is maybe around 1/2-1 1/2 on the 45s?

As for "pod" or individual K&N (or any other brand) I used to HATE HATE HATE HATE dinking with them on my old KZ's and Honda CB 500. Whenever I could use a stock airbox I would. Even a gust of wind would lean one or two carbs out while not affecting the others. PITA.

Normspeed- where can I get my hands on one of those manuals? Looks interesting to read.

Also, if my bike pulls hard, is smooth, has great response and not a single hiccup, would you guys feel safe saying that I'm not running lean...at least not lean enough to cause damage?

·
Registered
756 Posts
Yea I think I've had enough fun with dynojet and their policies, going to try Factory pro or jetsrus,

·
Registered
302 Posts
Apbling, it's just a one pager that was included in my Cobra Stage 1 kit. I don't have a copier or scanner but if you want to PM me with a mailing adress I'll make a photocopy next time I'm in town and mail to you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts