Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been riding for a year. My first bike - an '83 750 was perfect. Except for the fact that I've been tinkering with it for 75% of the time that I have owned it. For the past 2 weeks I've been down - and trying to figure out how to fix an electrical problem - and wondering "what next". I am at the point where I'm wondering if it is worth putting any more time or money into this bike. I don't have much time - and even less money. I have to have a vehicle for daily commuting, and would love to have a bike. Here's my question for those of you who have been doing this a lot longer. If I buy another used bike - is there a "safer" age than an '83 that will have less constant maintenance? If I get a new bike - will I get 20,000 miles out of it with scheduled maintenance and not too many of the crazy issues I've had with this bike? Or is a motorcycle, by definition, a machine that is having need of constant tinkering and fixing?

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
The older bikes need some loving attention, no doubt. The newer ones, need less.
If you need to ride more and "rub" less, I think you should consider a newer bike.
Nothing wrong with older bikes, if you love giving massages.
And I am sure some will chime in about older bikes that need nothing. It's the exception.
Dan

·
Registered
714 Posts
If a bike is what you truly desire consider a newer model. The only things I've had to do with my 02 are tires, oil, a battery and 2 bulbs.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
older bikes usually need more maintenance, newer bikes usually need less. my 06 vtx has over 30,000 miles and hasn't had any out of the ordinary maintenance issues.

·
Banned
3,795 Posts
Bought my bike 9yrs old with 3700 showing on the clock. It now has 37000 with only tires and oil for expenses, if you don't count the modifications that is.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I enjoy tinkering with my 83 but plan on picking up a larger/newer bike in the spring. I’ll probably keep the 83 as I have always loved that style of shadow but I would like something that needs less attention. I figure when you’re spending more time and money on maintenance then the bike is worth, it’s time to part it out and buy something that is more reliable/newer.

·
Registered
302 Posts
If you have any Credit Unions nearby, talk to them. I was surprised to find my local C.U. was offering 4.9% on "summer toys" that includes bikes and boats. On a 3 year loan on $5,000, the total interest is so small it's not worth paying off early.

I think newer bikes are pretty trouble free and yeah, 20,000 miles with mostly just maintenance is pretty easy on the new ones.

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
Preventative maintenance is needed constantly on any bike, new or old. If you keep up on that, than true maintenance is very uncommon on a new or old bike.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Newer bikes need scheduled maintenance but are for the most part very reliable.

If you buy another used bike call around, some places may offer a warranty. I got a 60 day 5k mile warranty from a privately owned shop on my 04 VT1100 when I bought it....didn't need it though and the bike, never needed any unscheduled maintenance.

Also remember; like aircraft, the more a bike sits the more likely it'll experience an issue.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Newer bikes as a rule require very little other than oil changes, normal maintenance, tires etc. I ride a 97 Shadow Spirt 1100 with 48k mikes & it has been as dependable as a hammer. change the oil every 3-4 thousand, just put my 2nd air filter & set of plugs & changed the coolant. I find that keeping my bikes in a garage makes a HUGE difference in longevity & maintenance. No rust, plastic & rubber lasts way longer, few rodent problems better paint. So if I was looking for a later model I would sure look for one that was garage kept.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts