Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Previously, I had no riding experience. I just turned 45 and decided, no more waiting. The ACE I bought had been sitting in a garage for the last 6 years. The fuel that was left in it was, to say the least, bad. The petcock filter was completely gone. Only the brass tube remained. I also replace the fuel filter, fuel lines, and plugs. Runs pretty rough when first started but is great once it warms up. My mechanical level is "beginner" and I am learning as I go.

I have attached some pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Read up on carburetors cleaning them . At least run some type of carb cleaner through it for now.
Did you flush the cooling system? Clean / change the air filter? That might help.

Nice job getting it up and running again.

....and welcome to the forum too!

·
Premium Member
8,878 Posts
Nice Scoot! ... What ^^^^ these guys said ...and.... Welcome to the Forum!

·
Premium Member
4,592 Posts
nice bike, welcome aboard. :)

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Read up on carburetors cleaning them . At least run some type of carb cleaner through it for now.
Did you flush the cooling system? Clean / change the air filter? That might help.

Nice job getting it up and running again.

....and welcome to the forum too!
^^++11What vito said!

You can try the cleaners, I tried seafoam, but after 4 tanks of gas I finally had to pull the carbs and clean and rejet them to get my bike running like its supposed too! I had never worked on mc carbs before this, my very first time and all went well. Just read a lot first, watch videos and GO SLOW! It will only take longer to start riding if you get in a hurry and have to pull the carbs a 2nd time.
Oh and WELCOME!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks for the advice everyone. I have run about 3 tanks of carb cleaner through it. Still hesitates until it gets warmed up.

Sorry if I sound like a noob but...It has a cobra jet kit and a Vance and Hines exhaust. Should I look at replacing the jet with another of the same spec? Or should I be able to clean the one I have?

Thinking about finding a used carb and rebuilding it for practice before working on mine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
List of things to still do.

* Replace coolant
* Replace brake fluid
* Replace air filter
* Replace front tire (original and 12 years old, no cracks or wall wear but should still replace it.)
* Clean carbs (Thanks Vito, just added to my list)

The bike only has 9000 miles on it but has sat in a garage for 6 years. Anything else I should think about replacing or maintaining?

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
List of things to still do.

* Replace coolant
* Replace brake fluid
* Replace air filter
* Replace front tire (original and 12 years old, no cracks or wall wear but should still replace it.)
* Clean carbs (Thanks Vito, just added to my list)

The bike only has 9000 miles on it but has sat in a garage for 6 years. Anything else I should think about replacing or maintaining?
I'd replace both tires.

·
Premium Member
8,072 Posts
Living in lower Michigan this time of the year it will run rough till it warms up.

Double check the chain, sprockets and cables for proper lubrication.

And welcome to the Craziest Forum on the internet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts