Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I'm new here as I just purchased my black 2009 Shadow Spirit today new! After leaving the dealership I spotted a 2010 black shadow and it almost made me drool. I was observing that the plastic covers are really similar to the spirit 750 and thought about buying them to replace them but they cost almost or over $50 a piece for left and right side black covers that's just flat black. So has anyone considered doing this or even sanding down the chrome plastic, priming and going flat black on the air filter, crank cover, and etc? Thanks.

·
Banned
956 Posts
You can do whatever you want to that bike. I have modified most of the parts on mine, make it whatever you want. Sand, paint and go for it.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
The side covers are probably generic. I don't see the factory incurring unnecessary cost milling different molds for what amounts to a variation of the same model, especially for the relatively lower price for Hondas, in comparison, say to a Victory. In the same sense, signal lights, specifically their plastic shells, are designed to fit various models of the same brand. Nothing new there. If you don't mind me suggesting, better to save the same money for auxiliary lights, etc., in the interest of safety. Later on, buy the bling.

"Flat black" is a common color scheme for rat bikes (a term of endearment), and there are many aficionados. Not to mention, stealth fighters. In other words, it's been done before, and they have flat black paint jobs down to a science and a unique art form of its very own. Ride safe.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I'm interested in painting the air cover, the cover below that and the alternator cover on the other side to make it look like the phantom. Buying it each is going to cost couple hundred dollars. If anyone has insight on how they did it or painting over the plastic chrome it would be appreciated!

·
Registered
12,291 Posts
You should contact (or at least look up the threads of) Lantesh on this board. He took his Spirit and converted it into the "Spearoantom". Part Spirit, part Aero, part Phantom.

Seriously. Do a search. It's a badass bike.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, it turns out for $200 A body shop will paint the chrome covers on both sides, all turn signals, headlight housing, and the chrome piece around the speedometer. Think it will look great In my opinion. Contemplating on engine covers to leave chrome or paint it black, everything will be gloss black.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does anyone know the handlebar size of the phantom, I know the spirit is 1'' I'm looking into getting an oem handlebar and stuff but it costs almost $150 for everything!

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Does anyone know the handlebar size of the phantom, I know the spirit is 1'' I'm looking into getting an oem handlebar and stuff but it costs almost $150 for everything!
Most likely get 1" black bars on ebay for half that .... OEM parts are usually NOT cheap, and sometimes aftermarket look better but are rarely of better quality ... something you have to weigh out as to what you want as you mod.

..... For some reason I can't explain, I want to whip my bow out???

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you both for such a quick response and actually somewhat giving a ****! Any who this may suck but I did bit the bullet and spent after shipping about $200 for all the necessary parts for the phantom bar, weights, bolts, and two phantom tank style "Shadow" stickers, their a little darker and more of my style than the chrome emblem. There's another concern, the triple is it the same, if you look at the phantom's bar they have two long stud like ends that go into the triple where as the spirit and others the bars are mounted to riser studs??

·
Registered
1,873 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks ShadowMonster, I know that the one piece bar is like the stock risers on the Spirit, I was talking in terms of the width apart the stems are they the same size. We shall see. As for looking for cheaper alternatives I didn't know which one's to buy that were black along with risers. I like your spirit btw, how is the exhaust wrap holding up? Want my stock to be black but too much hassle and money to get them de-chromed and powder coated thinking of using wrap. input?

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Wrap is in it's second year and still looks good and it was a cheap addition, not sure what it would look like over the stock mufflers, rather big and bulky looking I would think but like I said you can pick up 100' of it pretty cheap on ebay so it would be worth it IMO to experiment and if it didn't look right you wouldn't be out much.

Can't be 100% sure on the bars but I can't see Honda re-engineering the top trees from the C2 to the phantom seeing as for the most part they are the same bike with the phantom having different paint,fork covers, bigger front wheel and some other subtle changes.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok here's an update, chrome pieces should be done this week. Chrome exhaust, rear fender covers and control housings and levers are going to the powder coater today for flat black. Maybe gloss black for the rear fender rails. (opinion needed) Only concern I have now while removing the control housings were the throttle cables, hope I know where they go back, also any ideas on removing the left handle grip?

·
Registered
12,291 Posts
Ok here's an update, chrome pieces should be done this week. Chrome exhaust, rear fender covers and control housings and levers are going to the powder coater today for flat black. Maybe gloss black for the rear fender rails. (opinion needed) Only concern I have now while removing the control housings were the throttle cables, hope I know where they go back, also any ideas on removing the left handle grip?
Stick a long, thin screw driver in (after removing the end cap), spray some WD-40 in and twist. Use the WD-40 to remove the excess glue.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What if I need to reuse the grip, would the wd-40 mess things up? I'm removing everything off the stock bars to the new phantom when it comes.

·
Registered
12,291 Posts
What if I need to reuse the grip, would the wd-40 mess things up? I'm removing everything off the stock bars to the new phantom when it comes.
Nope, just use a pair of pliers (with a nice rag over the teeth) to pop-off the end cap, clean the WD-40 out of the grip itself and you'll be good to go.

Watch this video - I've changed at least ten sets of grips using this method. Fast, easy and you can save the stock grips if you want to re-use them:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts