Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to this forum and hope to contribute and use much of the info. on this forum. Now.... I have a 2001 Shadow ACE and I want to change the coolant. Any tips on doing this? How can flush the engine? Do I have to use Honda coolant? Any help would be greatly appreciated? Thanks, JGP1954

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
First of all, welcome to the forum!

Changing your coolant is pretty easy. Put the bike on the side stand. The coolant system is designed to use the angle of the side stand to keep the air bubbles out.

Pop the radiator cap, and remove the drain bolt, which is the lowest bolt on the water pump itself. When that's drained out, just flush it a bit with the garden hose.

Replace the drain bolt.

Remove the cover from the overflow bottle and use a turkey baster with a hose taped to it to remove the old coolant from that bottle. Remember that coolant is usually toxic, so best not to use your wife's cooking baster.

You have to silicate/phosphate-free coolant. You can use the Honda pre-mixed stuff, but the Prestone "Mix with any color" Extended Life coolant will fit the bill (and your wallet) just as well. If you have to mix your coolant of choice with water, be sure to use only distilled water. Regular tap water can cause you trouble down the road.

It should hold about 2 quarts of coolant. Fill it right to the top of the filler neck, and leave the cap off. Now start the engine and blip the throttle a few times and shut it off. You don't want the engine to heat up, but you do want the flow of fluid to knock any air bubbles free. Top the radiator off again if it settled a bit while running the engine. Replace the radiator cap.

Now fill the overflow bottle to between the Min and Max lines, replace the cap, and you're done!

Be sure to dispose of your old coolant in a proper manner, since it's is toxic and animals like to eat it because it testes sweet.

Hope this helps!

--Justin

·
Banned
3,456 Posts
tubes_rock said:
Now fill the overflow bottle to between the Min and Max lines, replace the cap, and you're done!
P.S. Check the level in the overflow bottle after the next couple rides (after it has cooled off, that is). Despite your best efforts, some air will probably remain and a slight "top off" might be needed.

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
Right, some air will continue to escape for a while.

--Justin

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
Maybe you know this, maybe not
-------------------------------------------------
Pop the radiator cap
============================
It's under the right side cover by the steering head
----------------------------------------------------------
when you do this fill the baster and then squeeze it back in to stir up the sediment on the bottom.
--------------------------------------------------------
=====================================
While you doing this it's a very good idea to check the return hose from the radiator, if it has a air leak it won't function as it should, the coolant won't return to the overflow container, look real close where the clamps are, if there's any doubt replace it.
-----------------------------------------------------------
animals like to eat it because it testes sweet
===================================
And it can/will kill them

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SHADOW 1100T said:
Maybe you know this, maybe not
-------------------------------------------------
Pop the radiator cap
============================
It's under the right side cover by the steering head
----------------------------------------------------------
when you do this fill the baster and then squeeze it back in to stir up the sediment on the bottom.
--------------------------------------------------------
=====================================
While you doing this it's a very good idea to check the return hose from the radiator, if it has a air leak it won't function as it should, the coolant won't return to the overflow container, look real close where the clamps are, if there's any doubt replace it.
-----------------------------------------------------------
animals like to eat it because it testes sweet
===================================
And it can/will kill them
I'd like everyone for their info. regarding the coolant change. But I'm still having trouble finding things. Yesterday, I looked for the radiator cap, couldn't find it, unless I had to take apart the radiator shroud. I think I need a drawing, diagram or something of the engine, etc. Possibly, something downloaded from the repair manual. This way, any future maintenance issues could be addressed. Thanks, JGP1954.

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
You have to pull the gas tank, take the right side panel up front by the steering head off (unscrew the 2 plastic screws and pull the screw plugs out, under that panel is the cap. Follow the overflow tube to the over flow tank.

·
Registered
11,019 Posts
JGP1954 said:
Hi, I'm new to this forum and hope to contribute and use much of the info. on this forum. Now.... I have a 2001 Shadow ACE and I want to change the coolant. Any tips on doing this? How can flush the engine? Do I have to use Honda coolant? Any help would be greatly appreciated? Thanks, JGP1954

Try this......

http://www.750ace.com/task_33.phtml

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd like to thank Vito and everyone else, who helped me with the coolant change. The info. was very valuable. By the way, you don't have to remove the gas tank. Just have plastic tubing available that fits onto a funnel for refill. And, tubing that fits a turkey baster for removing coolant and flush water from the overflow tank. Watch out you don't snap off the plastic locating plugs that attach the plastic covers that hide the radiator cap, I did. I siliconed the plug back on, hope it holds! Again, thanks everyone.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I have the same bike and it's apart right now for a paint job so I wanted to flush the fluid...

How do you guys collect the used coolant and what do you do with it?

I flushed the coolant in my Jeep at a buddies' house and he just let it flow onto the driveway and watered it down a bit...

·
Registered
605 Posts
collect it any way you can - you can buy a special container designed for just this purpose at any parts store - an oil change drain pan works just fine, and then put the old stuff back in the jug you bought. Autozone will take your waste coolant/oil/batteries/fluids for free - or most any automotive service center will take your waste coolant too. Surely your city has a hazardous waste collection spot....but Autozone is usually the easiest.

Don't just dump it down a drain, or leave it out, or do what your jackass buddy did - coolant kills pets and other animals in a painful sort of way.

·
Registered
11,162 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I have the same bike and it's apart right now for a paint job so I wanted to flush the fluid...

How do you guys collect the used coolant and what do you do with it?

I flushed the coolant in my Jeep at a buddies' house and he just let it flow onto the driveway and watered it down a bit...
The EPA will be at your house any minute.

·
Registered
233 Posts
collect it any way you can - you can buy a special container designed for just this purpose at any parts store - an oil change drain pan works just fine, and then put the old stuff back in the jug you bought. Autozone will take your waste coolant/oil/batteries/fluids for free - or most any automotive service center will take your waste coolant too. Surely your city has a hazardous waste collection spot....but Autozone is usually the easiest.

Don't just dump it down a drain, or leave it out, or do what your jackass buddy did - coolant kills pets and other animals in a painful sort of way.
Roger that. Now I feel dumb for asking because that's exactly what I do with all my old oil. Thanks.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Just got back from the auto store. They don't take used coolant because they "don't have room for the tank." They told me the county dump is the only place around here I can take it.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
After draining the coolant the manual says "replace the drain bolt with a new sealing washer". What type of washer are they talking about and what size? I have a 2003 750 Spirit. Thanks in advance.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts