Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took bike to local shop to fix the crossover coolant leaking problem.. reasonable price.. but he changed his mind ..his mechanic quit. I have seen the how to video 2 of them matter of fact so I guess I give it a try..how many of you have done this?

·
Registered
30 Posts
yes, I recommend doing this work yourself. key tools, dental floss and log needle nose pliers. only problem i had was trying to install the wrong o-rings. on the drawing, there's another o-ring near by that I mistakenly ordered. It has a different profile and wouldn't go in. once I had the right o-rings, piece of cake. good luck!

·
Registered
16,413 Posts
I have dun it!!!
IF I can you can!!!
It`s easy enough, and I didn`t have videos to go by ;)
I Recommend it a Self Project,
Dennis

·
Registered
12,531 Posts
I don't have that engine but i would do it. Here s a video.
There is another one of the dental floss trick to get the new ring in there.

·
Registered
8,105 Posts

·
Registered
16,413 Posts
Yes @h13man I read that one before I did mine...
It is NOT too harda job todo...
I used a wire I fashioned hooks onto the end to do mine, insteadda the "Floss String"...

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
My VT600 was leaking there. I replaced the coolant and oddly the leak stopped by itself. I don't have scientific proof that old coolant causes the leak. More likely the bike was angry at its owner or something like that.

·
Registered
12,531 Posts
Some coolants used to advertise a small amount of stop leak in them but not sure there is any doing that now.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It isn't hard to do if you watch the videos. It is a two person job, though, After I did my VT1100C i also did my DN-01. It uses the same O-rings and tube. It was 10 years old so I figured that I would just take care of them as well.

The ones I took off the Shadow actually were so brittle that they just fell apart. The ones on the DN-01 were still pliable after 10 years, but starting to get stiff so I am glad that I took care of them.

Just take your time and you will be fine.

·
Registered
16,413 Posts
IF you ain`t got time for doing the job right now, you might can get some added time, by rotating the tube to resesat the seals...
I noticed my Baby has developed this coolant on the case right below the tube...
It has been many years @ around 50,000 miles IIRC since I did the swap, I`ll give rotating it a try before I commit to doing it again @ 164,540+ miles...
It ain`t hard to do,
D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts