Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the day started off around 7:00am with an oil change, final drive oil change, and a coolant exchange. All was going well until I got back from a short ride. I got off the bike and let it run for a few more minutes to ensure I wasn't purging any fluid anywhere. Then, my temperature light came on.

This is the first time that I have exchanged the coolant in the bike. I have no idea when the previous owner did this----or if he ever did this. I followed the Honda Service manual to the tee in this procedure.

I shut the bike off and let it sit for a few minutes, then I started her back up. She ran as she should until the fan kicked on. Once the fan fired up, the temperature light came back on.

Any ideas here? Could this be a thermostat issue? Or am I missing something obvious. Thanks to all!

By the way, 1998 VT1100C Aero

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Overall, the process was fairly easy. I have read many posts on here about coolant exchanges. I just busted out the Honda Service manual and followed the directions. Good luck!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In addition, I have never had any problems with the bike overheating. The idiot light has never come on. It was just time to do routine maintenance and this time that included the coolant.

There is no coolant boiling out of the radiator itself and there are no leaks coming from anywhere that I can tell. Frustrating.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info Inferno. When you say remove the system cap, you mean the actual radiator cap right? Not the reservoir cap? I'm just making sure. I figure here is as good a place to ask dumb questions as any.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone. I think you all were right. I let her cool down, popped the top on the radiator, and sure enough----it was not filled to the top. After topping her off and letting her get to normal operating temperature, all seems to be fine. The fan kicked on as it should. This time, no idiot light to scare the bejeezus out of me.

Thanks again for all that this forum does. I am not so sure that I've ever run into a group of more knowledgeable folks. Have a good weekend all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.