Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1997 Honda Shadow vlx 600 - 24k miles

I'm looking to complete a few things to get my bike running again in the next few days, but I had some questions...

I put some coolant into the system, but am not sure if it was the same coolant the previous owner put into it. I read and have heard you shouldn't mix coolant, but it did also say on the coolant I purchased that it mixes with others.
I didn't get to ride much with the coolant mixed, but I was wondering if I should flush the system and put all of one kind of coolant in?

I need to purchase a right fork. When I do, should I change the fork oil, seals, spring, etc. (if it's from a salvage yard or something. Basically not new)?
If so, should I not do the same for the (left) fork that I will still be using?

Lastly, does anyone know where I might be able to purchase just one exhaust rather than the set?
I have a dent in one of mine.
I've been to a salvage yard, but all of the exhausts they had were way to big for my liking. I'm thinking about cutting what I have to make them look more similar and trying to get the dent out. Not sure how that's going to go, but I figure it'll be something similar to a gas tank...?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One last thing I remembered.
If everything goes well and is taken care of in time I plan on going for a ride to some cooler weather.
The previous owner did something (not sure what) to the choke so that it isn't needed...
I don't know what he did, but if I try to use the choke the engine will turn fine, but wont actually start. If I close the choke everything starts and runs fine.
I tried opening the choke after the bike was warmed up just to see what would happen and again, the engine turns, but wont start.

If someone knows what he did, please feel free to enlighten me.
Does anyone think that whatever was done will cause an issue in the colder weather?
I don't want to get there, then not be able to get back.

·
Premium Member
8,072 Posts
Antifreeze will mix with other brands.

Rebuild both forks so they will respond he same.

Do not know where you can purchase 1/2 of the exhaust.

Do not know what may be wrong with the choke.

Where are you located.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Would it then be better to simply purchase both forks new?
If it doesn't matter much, so long as I do it right, then I'll rebuild both rather than buy both new. Thanks.

I'm in AZ. Nice and hot weather.
Heading to Flagstaff, not really what a lot of people would call cold, but I don't know how much of a temperature change would require more use of the choke or other aspects of the motorcycle.
Plus I may want to take trips to other places in the future that may be much colder. Not any time soon, but it is a possibility.

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
4,641 Posts
I would change the coolant as it is fairly inexpensive and you do not know when the previous owner last changed it or what was used.

Yes to both fork seals/oil but maybe not springs. If right fork is damaged I would change out both.

The choke adds fuel so not starting with choke means engine is getting too much fuel. You may need to adjust the A/F mixture screw. I do not know the 600 but on the 750/1100 the A/F is factory set and covered but many owners drill out the cover to adjust for rejetting. However, you live in a warm climate so if you are starting the engine when its hot out you may not need the choke. Does the engine run well at idle and at higher rpm? If so just leave it and try starting when colder.

G.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It does start and run fine, yes. I'll take a look and see what I find as far as the A/F screw goes, but will otherwise leave it for the time being then.
Thanks for you advice.

My right fork is the one that is damaged. I was hit on the right side and the lower housing(?) is a tiny bit bent and has a hairline fracture. No leaks or anything.
I haven't taken it off yet, so I don't know what condition anything on the inside is in.

*If anyone knows of a fork rebuild kit that will work, please let me know.
Is anyone able to tell me if these parts are all I need, minus the springs?
Not sure if I'll go with progressive springs or original springs.
I don't know if I have; Fork Seals and Wipers, Fork Tube Bushings (Bushing, Guide?), O-Rings for caps on the fork tubes.

http://www.hondapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/hon/506cbec3f870023420a42904/front-fork#
Part Numbers;
4, 7, 8, 9, 12, 14, 16, 19, 23, 24

From a thread in 2008:
"As for parts to order to do a complete rebuild, you need:
Crush washers for sealing bolts
Fork seals and wipers
Slider bushings
Fork tube bushings
Piston rings
Back up rings
O-rings for caps on the fork tubes
Blue loc-tite for the sealing washers
Fork oil

All in all you are looking at about $120-$150 to get it done, and about another 60-70 if you decide to go with progressive springs."

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A question about my exhaust.
As I stated, there is a dent right under the 'Honda' on the clutch.
I'm trying not to get a new exhaust right at this moment since I have to get other parts as well.

If I were to cut the pipes and try to remove the dent, what exactly might I run into performance wise or any backfiring?

I can't post a picture from my phone, but will once I get to a computer tomorrow.
The exhaust were in stock positioning (not stock exhaust), 2" diameter and just before the tire angled up 40° (or 160°, whichever way you want to look at it), then end even with the rear blinkers.
I would cut them just after the upward angle, so around 1.5 - 2 feet would be removed.
Thanks for the advice I've received all ready.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.