Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I rode the bike 8 miles today just out and around. When I got home I was leaking a small amount of coolant from the overflow hose. I know the radiator was full. The temp light was not on. All my other lights work, so I'll assume the temp light works just fine. Could it be that the overflow bottle is also full and that's why it's overflowing? or can you tell me something else?

1999 VLX 600 18,000 miles. Just bought it a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
the over flow bottle should be well down when cold (not sure if your bottle has level marks), or it will overflow as soon as its warmed up :)

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Leathel got to where I was going, but quicker. LOL Reason I asked if a recent change was done is because it 'could' be another issue if it was not and you are sure the coolant was at the cold level mark while parked prior to this most recent event. In other words, it could be a bad cap or a bad thermostat if the coolant level rises in the bottle past where it would normally go out of the blue. That 'might' be accompanied by a 'temp indicator light', but since you said not then ... you tell us. :) Don't overlook the fact that the temp sensor switch could be bad as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts