Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum, and new to riding. I've been riding my honda shadow 600 for 4 months now, and love it. I bought it used, and have had to do a few repairs to it, but nothing to crazy.

I tried finding some older discussions on coolant leaks here on the forum, but I couldn't seem to find anything that helped.

I can not seem to locate where the leak is coming from, exactly. It looks as if its coming from a metal piece directly under the tank towards the handlebars. I also can't seem to locate WHERE the water pump is... even with the manual. It is very vague.

If you could point me in the direction of the water pump, and then venture a guess as to where you think this leak is coming from, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Joe

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
The water pump is underneath the motor sort of near where the oil drain plug is.

As for the leak, have you checked the radiator cap? Maybe it's not on tight? Your description points to that general area.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Endy, Thanks for the quick reply. I don't think it is the radiator cap. When I filled the coolant, I watched the cap and connecting hose to see if that's where the leak was coming from, and it was not. I think the leak is coming from somewhere behind the cap.

I tried to locate the "telltale" hole on the bottom of the water pump, but couldn't find it, nor was there any coolant in that area. I'm optimistically hoping the pump is fine, and I just have a busted hose somewhere.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Suggestion:

Pull the fork neck covers and wipe down all the rubber parts. A dental mirror will help you see into those tight spots. Look for telltale signs, usually a bulge, cracks, etc (you didn't say how old the VLX is). If the cap is leaking, it should be going down the overflow into your reserve tank, which I assume you have. Given the angle of the cap tho' it is possible it might leak from there.

Use Inspector Cleusou (sp?) as your guide, "I suspect everyone."

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is no fluid on or around the cross over tube. I highly doubt that's where its coming from.

Sorry, its a 1998.

If it was going down into the reserve tank (yes, I have one), would it not eventually overflow? There is no sign of leakage down where the overflow tube comes out.

When I took off the tank, there is a plastic triangular container with several hoses coming in and out of it. Does anyone know what this is? Am I safe to remove it... from what I'm seeing, the leak is coming from directly under it... but I can't be sure where because this thing is in the way. I can only get a glimpse from the sides.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys... it helps.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
That triangle container is some type of breather box, I think? Too lazy to look it up, but I know what you are talking about. If it is coming from under there, isn't that where the coolant hoses run that go to the cylinders? They could be cracked or have a hole of some sort.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just brought it over to a friend of mine. Its actually the "thermo unit"... or the sensor that tells the radiator that the bike is too hot, and needs to turn on the fan. The gaskets can sometimes become loose, and cause the unit to leak. I had noticed that's exactly where the leak looked like it was coming from, but I thought it was weird because there were no hoses next to where the leak was... so I thought it was coming from somewhere else and just dripping onto it. Part is about $45 from bikebandit dot com, and its in a spot that can easily be put on by myself.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I had this problem on my VLX last summer and it turned out to be the thermostat housing. The O ring in the housing was leaking just enough to cause you to smell hot coolant but it wasn't leaving puddles. Hard to see with the fuel tank on the bike. After getting it apart I found that the top half of the housing was either warped or was not machined flat, you could rock it just a little. I carefully levelled it with a fine file and a stone and replaced the O ring. No more leak. It's always a good idea to check for flatness on cast alloy parts that need to hold pressure and those O rings seem to be good for only so many years before they die. (and there's quite a few of them on a Shadow!)

·
Registered
391 Posts
Can overtightening the radiator hose clamp (part 27 to hose 22 in attached schematic) make the radiator leak? I had a small leak out the bottom of my radiator where the hose met, tightened the hell out of the clamp and now it seems the leak is worse.

I'm wondering if I possibly cracked the hose from overtightening. No way of being sure without removing the hose and having to remove the tank and all that crap to refill. How often you have to replace that hose? Bike in signature pic....2006 VT750C, Texas heat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts