Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive noticed coolant leaking on occasion, not big leak and resevour stays full, but every so often i notice coolant puddle under bike,, it seems to be coming from left side of engine under cover, thats where i see it anyways, where the cover bolts to engine on the front seems to be wet,, now yesterday the bike engine hot light was on when i was in traffic, again the resevour is full,, the lower hose is not the culprit as i just now got under there and looked,, there is a puddle again,, what would be on the left side of the engine? if and when i pull the cover off what should i look for? i do auto mechanic and truck mechanic work and have repaired a few other makes of bikes as in timing and clutches,, never tore apart my own bike yet tho.,, again what should i be lookig for or what could be leaking?\
2002 honda shadow spirit 1100

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
My bike is a 95 but i wouldn't think there would be too much difference in it and yours as far as the cooling system. The shop manual shows the water pump under the left cover but its at the rear. If you follow the flow chart it shows the pipe going to the front cylinder going in the general area where you see your leak. Could it be coming from that and leaking down on the cover. If your hot light came on and the resevoir is full you need to check the radiator and see if it's still full. If not then the line between the two is bad or the radiator cap is not functioning.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
The bolt on the lower-most part of the front-left corner of the engine is your water pump drain bolt. Check to ensure it is tight and inspect the water pump.

WARNING! Step 1 of the procedure, "Replace Water Pump" is "Remove Engine from Frame".

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have a 1998 Spirit 1100 that started leaking from the crossover tube between the cylinders. It seaped/dripped down the left side and at first looked like a leak from the joint between the cylinder and the engine case. The crossover tube has an o-ring on each end, they do sometimes leak. It would be worth checking into.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a 1998 Spirit 1100 that started leaking from the crossover tube between the cylinders. It seaped/dripped down the left side and at first looked like a leak from the joint between the cylinder and the engine case. The crossover tube has an o-ring on each end, they do sometimes leak. It would be worth checking into.

Any ideas how to fix this leak that Notenuftime mentions? Just discovered this one on my 1998 VT1100C.

·
Registered
41 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts