Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys I'm new to this bike and when I picked it up the bike was running at high idle then all of a sudden the coolant reserve tank started overflowing on the floor the mech told me that its because its been at high idle for too long.The bike has been sitting for about 2months prior to me taking possession is this normal or what could it be :?

·
Registered
227 Posts
It looks like you got a used bike? or did you have all the extras put on it before you picked it up.
A coolant leak out the overflow is not unusual for a new bike at all. I would not be concerned in the least.
Keep an eye on it though
Glen

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh! I'm sorry I forgot to mention the year its a 96' just got it today and the funny thing about it is that about 2-months ago I started the bike at idle and no leaks because I was really looking for something to point out so the dealership can fix it but no leaks.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I'll bet they just topped off all the fluids before you picked it up, so there was more coolant to overflow than there was 2 months ago, before they serviced it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well today started the bike,very cold natured very hard to start,put the bike on high idle until it reach oper temp and the coolant start leaking out of the reservoir tank again but the fan kick on and the leak stopped until the fan stops and then it started again.The temp light never came on during this so I guess its ok :? It doesn't leak while im ridding though aleast I hope not

·
Registered
3 Posts
Coolant leaking from reserve tank

This is NOT normal. My guess from the symptoms you describe is that there is too much coolant in the system. With the radiator full and the engine cold, there should be only a small amount of coolant in overflow tank. Tank is marked to indicate what level should be.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts