Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Troy Jolliemore. How does the coolant reservoir tank come off. Its cracked and need to put a new one on it. Troy or anybody else know, please let me know. Just to make sure I don’t struggle with it all day. Its loose but haven’t figured out how to get it out

·
Registered
13 Posts
Not sure about newer shadows but on my 83 vt750 I had to remove the rear tire to remove the coolant tank. The tank is under the seat in the 83 but I don't know anything about the newer ones.
Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure about newer shadows but on my 83 vt750 I had to remove the rear tire to remove the coolant tank. The tank is under the seat in the 83 but I don't know anything about the newer ones.
Ok thanks. I guess im fixing to try and tackle it. But I don’t have the proper jack so wish me luck

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
14,721 Posts
Just ignore it and put a Jim Beam bottle up near the radiator in a bracket with a hose. Adds some wow factor.
Kriss Karr as a Coke bottle.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I thought about doing that on mine but I'm worried I would end up laying it down and get a bug piece of glass stuck in my leg or something. I am going to buy one of the $60 coolant reservoirs off of Amazon

·
Registered
548 Posts
Someone like gdb might be in a better position to help with a newer bike. Like Ray and Swifty, my bike is an ‘83. The overall design hasn’t changed much, so it’s probably still easiest to remove the rear swing arm to remove it out the rear. Quite the amount of work, though, but if it’s cracked and you don’t want to mount an alternate...

·
Registered
818 Posts
This is the jack I use, cut the 2 tall posts to different heights to match the Shadow frame. I used a hole saw in my drill press, a hacksaw and a v cut would work fine. It will lift either end high enough to change a tire without pulling the fender trim on the T

·
Registered
84 VT500C retro bobber
1,569 Posts
I thought about doing that on mine but I'm worried I would end up laying it down and get a bug piece of glass stuck in my leg or something. I am going to buy one of the $60 coolant reservoirs off of Amazon

I laid mine down and the coke bottle survived. They are surprisingly thick glass

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Troy Jolliemore. How does the coolant reservoir tank come off. Its cracked and need to put a new one on it. Troy or anybody else know, please let me know. Just to make sure I don’t struggle with it all day. Its loose but haven’t figured out how to get it out
Disconect all the coolant hoses at the reservoir. The reservoir is held by two 10 MM bolts. One at the swing arm next to the voltage regulator. You will have to remove the voltage regulator to allow the reservoir to “drop” freely out of the frame. The other bolt is at the top on the frame near the fuel pump inlet fuel hose. This one is hard to reach and even more difficult to put back on. Use a long socket extension to reach the head of the bolt. You don’t have to remove the rear tire. Just work underneath the bike. There is enough room for this operation. I struggled putting back the bolt on that ended up stripping the threads on the frame. I went and put a zip tie holding the reservoir to the frame. It worked. Good luck my friend.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you. J got it all back together and now it is cutting out like its dropping a coil. Let it cool down and it fires back up for just a minute or two. Then back it goes to poppin and no power. I put two new coils and the fuel pump on it just recently. Starting to think that was a mistake

·
Registered
548 Posts
Go back over your work, if it wasn't cutting out before you replaced the coolant reservoir. Did you pinch off a fuel line or an electrical wire?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Go back over your work, if it wasn't cutting out before you replaced the coolant reservoir. Did you pinch off a fuel line or an electrical wire?
Ok it lost the back cylinders fire.I’ve been told that the yellow plug under the seat messes up. Could thiss be my problem.I put the original coils back on it and it runs but the rear cylinder isn’t firing. To check the coil, do i hook a ohm meter to the pos and neg to see what it is putting out. And figure out what it should be reading. And thanks for your help

·
Registered
818 Posts
There should be resistance readings in the shop manual for the coils,

The 3 yellow wire connector is related to charging issues. Connector between the stator and the rectifier. Low voltage could affect the ignition, but I'd think it would be both cylinders.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok it lost the back cylinders fire.I’ve been told that the yellow plug under the seat messes up. Could thiss be my problem.I put the original coils back on it and it runs but the rear cylinder isn’t firing. To check the coil, do i hook a ohm meter to the pos and neg to see what it is putting out. And figure out what it should be reading. And thanks for your help
But i will chase down the wires to the rear coil and make sure it was’nt pinched.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There should be resistance readings in the shop manual for the coils,

The 3 yellow wire connector is related to charging issues. Connector between the stator and the rectifier. Low voltage could affect the ignition, but I'd think it would be both cylinders.
Yea i was’nt sure about it so i thought i’d ask. All i know is i had fire , changed the fuel pump and filter. And then the overflow was leaking so i fixed that and now I’m not running on both cylinders. Like Troy says , im going to have to chase down the wires to see if anything was pulled on or pinched

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yea i was’nt sure about it so i thought i’d ask. All i know is i had fire , changed the fuel pump and filter. And then the overflow was leaking so i fixed that and now I’m not running on both cylinders. Like Troy says , im going to have to chase down the wires to see if anything was pulled on or pinched
I just don’t where to start when it comes to the wire chasing. And don’t really enjoy the wiring game. It has beat me before. Lol but not this time. If i can wire a 91 Nissan Pathfinder, i can do this

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you. J got it all back together and now it is cutting out like its dropping a coil. Let it cool down and it fires back up for just a minute or two. Then back it goes to poppin and no power. I put two new coils and the fuel pump on it just recently. Starting to think that was a mistake
Hey Troy
I just don’t where to start when it comes to the wire chasing. And don’t really enjoy the wiring game. It has beat me before. Lol but not this time. If i can wire a 91 Nissan Pathfinder, i can do this
HeyMr.Troy Jolliemore. Why would it run great for 10 to 15 minutes and then all the sudden drop the rear cylinder all the suuden. If it wasn’t any wire pinched or broke. I was riding for about 5minutes ,after sitting in yard running 10 minutes. I got on bike and started down the back roads, and when the speed limit picked up to 55mph, i gassed it a little bit to pick up speed and bammm; it felt like i lost the rear cylinder. I let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes and she started up. Sounded like it was hitting. And before i could hit second it popped back out; like it was working on only one again. I bought the coils off ebay. They are brand new. Also bought the new fuel pump off ebay.

·
Registered
548 Posts
You’re looking at ignition or fuel. You’ve looked at the wires and found nothing obvious, so I would take another look at the fuel system. If your bike has two carburetors, something could be interfering with the fuel supply to the one that feeds the rear cylinder. Blocked, or not enough pressure.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts