Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I noticed my overflow tank was empty after a ride. I spoke to my local mechanic and he said I can add it through cap that says “coolant”. So what type do I use? Can I just go to wal mart and get some Prestone
Automotive tire Wood Rim Auto part Automotive wheel system

or what?

·
Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
2,612 Posts
I recommend the Honda coolant. My bike did the same thing not long ago. The o-ring between the cylinders ended up leaking and needed replaced on mine. That is what caused my coolant to disappear. In my case, aftermarket antifreeze made my waterpump squeal.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I recommend the Honda coolant. My bike did the same thing not long ago. The o-ring between the cylinders ended up leaking and needed replaced on mine. That is what caused my coolant to disappear. In my case, aftermarket antifreeze made my waterpump squeal.
Ok, I will attempt that. Live in Hawaii so short over priced supply of everything

·
Registered
19,078 Posts
I generally buy from HONDA for oil & coolant...
By shopping for cheaper = I find it`s as good a price as trying to "beat the price"...

Yeah BUT make sure it`s aluminum compatible IF you buy from wally world...

I flush coolant every other year,
Dennis

·
Registered
03 750 ACE / Michigan
198 Posts
The basic requirements are silicate-free, ethylene glycol based coolant mixed 50/50 with distilled water. You can decide for yourself about the quality of the various brands, that's a discussion too much like "which oil is best," and I don't feel like going there right now. I do have confidence that anything that Honda makes (or has someone make for them) will be of good quality.

·
Registered
19,078 Posts
Yeah, I can`t remember all those ingredients So "Safe for aluminum" is the main point ;)

Our Powersports place has changed hands so I`m looking at their higher prices too,
Dennis

Still competitive, so far

·
Registered
19,078 Posts
Yeah, @h13man But 70 miles is a good RIDE,
Dennis
I`d still take the LONG WAY Home

·
Registered
2013 Honda Shadow Phantom 750
3,781 Posts
There is always Amazon or flea bay. No need to drive a long way to a store if you don’t want to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19,078 Posts
A lotta times ONE company makes it and puts SEVERAL Brandnames on it...

I`m going RIDING,
Dennis

I GOTTA get another 360+ miles on her soas I can treat her to her scheduled 175,000 miles service...
Sparkplugs, oil change, general maintenance &TCLOCS

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
4,517 Posts
I use Prestone premix due to convenience. However, if your reserve tank is completely empty you should address that. Leak, Overheating? when was the last time it was filled?
I would also add coolant to the radiator but that might be beyond your expertise so you could add to the COOLANT cap but then go for a 10 minute ride and check again. You may have to refill that a few times if the rad is low.

·
Registered
19,078 Posts
Yeah, I hadn`t checked coolant in my Baby in quite a spell...
I`ll flush the system tomorrow though...

I ain`t never seen the Temp Light ON until today...
Sitting & idling in traffic it came ON, but immediately went OFF when I started moving...

Hopefully My Baby is OK,
Dennis

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So as y’all can tell I’m new to this. Where exactly is the coolant drainage screw located atI need to drain/replace my coolant lol.
also what size is the crush washer? I know it’s copper, 6.5mm?

sorry for all the questions just a super noob at this.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I use Prestone premix due to convenience. However, if your reserve tank is completely empty you should address that. Leak, Overheating? when was the last time it was filled?
I would also add coolant to the radiator but that might be beyond your expertise so you could add to the COOLANT cap but then go for a 10 minute ride and check again. You may have to refill that a few times if the rad is low.
I may do that or just attempt to flush “above my skill level”. It really is lol but gotta learn somehow. Just have to go find a crush washer that will fit and identify the water pump location and drain screw lol.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
18,713 Posts
Easier to take off the hose slowly and let it drain faster than that screw.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts