Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys!

I thought I would come on here and share that I am beginning a rebuild of a 1983 VT 750. I figured during all the lockdowns taking place around the world, one of thes best things I could do was finally begin this rebuild. I am still trying to think and plan through many aspects of this build. I am leaning towards more of a cafe racer/scrambler style looking bike, but we will see what happens at the end. I will try to be diligent in posting pictures and updates frequently. Im going to start with striping the bike and removing the engine. I will be tearing the engine down completely to clean the interior, new gaskets and o-rings, and sand blast the exterior. Once the engine is down then we will continue from there. I invite anyone to join me on this journey.

Thanks,

Matt

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,845 Posts
I hope it all goes well. Check parts sources, it is over 35 years.
Study the manual because- " there will always be a test".

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright guys,

Time for an update.
  • frame striped down to rolling frame
  • engine pulled - working on cracking the case to replace all gaskets and o-rings
  • new rims orders - changing to an 18" on front and rear
  • ordered new:
- clutch plates
- handle bars
- oil
- oil filter
- tires
- piston rings
- gaskets/o-rings

Currently I am stuck on removing the flywheel to finish cracking the case open. Over the next few days I would like to get the remaining of the case opened, cleaned, and sand blast the exterior so I can begin reassembling the engine to get it ready to paint.

Attachments

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,845 Posts
Here is a handy video of getting the timing chain and gear back on.

·
Premium Member
2000 Honda Shadow Spirit VT1100C
2,997 Posts
Hey Guys!

I thought I would come on here and share that I am beginning a rebuild of a 1983 VT 750. I figured during all the lockdowns taking place around the world, one of thes best things I could do was finally begin this rebuild. I am still trying to think and plan through many aspects of this build. I am leaning towards more of a cafe racer/scrambler style looking bike, but we will see what happens at the end. I will try to be diligent in posting pictures and updates frequently. Im going to start with striping the bike and removing the engine. I will be tearing the engine down completely to clean the interior, new gaskets and o-rings, and sand blast the exterior. Once the engine is down then we will continue from there. I invite anyone to join me on this journey.

Thanks,

Matt
Sounds like an extensive project. My advice is to do it for the fun of doing it instead of thinking of the goal. Experience with things like this has taught me that once you reach the point where you 'need' to get something done before the day is done, you will start rushing or taking shortcuts. And that is a sure fire way of getting things to go south in a hurry. You will get exasperated and mad at yourself for screwing something up because you didn't take your time..

Have fun!!! and keep us posted.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm doing some late night research, but does anyone know of any potential cafe style tanks that will fit this frame?🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
1983 vt750c
97 Posts
Awesome to see your spending the extra time on a great bike. One thing I'd recommend is upgrading the battery for a larger one with more cca and one that's not lead acid. Agm batter would be the way to go I use one that optima recommends for power sports called VARTA, had it in my 83 for 2 years now and works wonderfully the higher cca for the winter helps alot with very cold cold starts. When I did this mod I had to delete the stock air box and was trying to figure a way to still have filters. Battled with fuel air ratio when I tried pods on the carbs then I engineered a air intake that uses the stock tunnel that sits under the main gas tank and connects a pod that ends right after the starter. I did a write up not too long ago of the v1 and v2 of it. Its 3d printed from carbonfiber petg. I also made a box that sits in front of the battery that holds all of the electrical components as the stock air box held some of them in place so instead of them dangling around I wanted them mounted secure came out pretty good. Take a look at the write up and if you want to go down this route dm me and I can have one printed and shipped within a week. I can also help out and supply photos and videos of how I got it done on mine. Best of luck to the build and I will definitely keep checking on the thread.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for the info Anigrelli, I will keep it and you in mind.

Does anyone know if a rear rim/drum brake/final drive off of a 1983 vt500ft will fit a 1983 vt750?

·
Registered
1983 vt750c
97 Posts
Thank you for the info Anigrelli, I will keep it and you in mind.

Does anyone know if a rear rim/drum brake/final drive off of a 1983 vt500ft will fit a 1983 vt750?
Did some research for you part numbers for a 83 750 and a 83 500 are different for the final drive. So in this case most likely the ring and pinion are different as the 750 engine would output more power then the 500. With that being said you might be able to fit the rim if you found a second hand one that fit the axle but the ring and pinion might be too weak for the 750 engine. Not too long ago I was trying to figure a way to convert mine to rear disc instead of the drum brake and found 00-07 shadows had a rear disc that were shaft driven but the axle shafts were slightly different. Could get it to fit with some modification either swapping the entire rear which would be easiest or other means. This could be a cool mod upgrade since yours is stripped currently. You would have to figure a way to mount the master cylinder cables and the caliper but if you have a decent welder like a Miller then this would be easy just need to mock it up a bunch. Otherwise I'm sure ebay has a bunch of second hand 750 rear drum rim final drive assemblies for decently cheap. Just make sure they dont have too many miles and aren't too worn down.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Interesting. Well I find myself being the owner of an 83 ft500 ascot rear rim that is 2.5x18 which is what I need. Maybe I can convert the rim to accept the shaft drive parts from the OEM vt750 rear rim.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am stuck trying to get the flywheel off. I have a puller and am currently trying to get the (5) hex bolts off which i think is a star bit t35 or 3/16". I will take any suggestions as I am at a complete stop and struggling on this part. Thanks guys

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am stuck trying to get the flywheel off. I have a puller and am currently trying to get the (5) hex bolts off which i think is a star bit t35 or 3/16". I will take any suggestions as I am at a complete stop and struggling on this part. Thanks guys
I was stuck with it many times. Finally I found an easy and simple way to remove the flywheel. You see those punch holes at the back of the flywheel? Get a square head screw driver, place the tip into those dips and tap with a hammer slightly and keep rotating the flywheel so you tap it from all angles.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,845 Posts
Put the bolt in a few threads so it just pops off and sits on the bolt.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts