Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I recently purchased a 1999 VT1100D ACE, and need a new front tire for it. Since I didn't get a manual with it (I need an owner's manual), I don't know what the original size tire was. Anyone know, and where can I find a whitewall for it?

Thanks,

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
check the tag on the bike..there should be a sticker (mines on the chain guard,but yours is shaft driven so im not sure on yours) that states the recommended tire size,air pressure,maximum hauling weight..etc...maybe where the sticker is with the vin tag.idk.

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,270 Posts
Your bike is actually a VT1100C2 -- even though the paperwork days D.

PM me an e-mail address and I'll send you a link to download a PDF of the (1995?) shop manual. (Except for CA emission gear and color, the bike is unchanged 1995 through 1999).

Your OEM front tire was a Dunlop K177 120/90-18 65H. The recommended replacement is a Dunlop D404 -- a lousy tire that will never be on my bike again if I can help it. (The K177 isn't too bad except for wet roads or rough roads.) You can go with a taller sidewall (120/100 for example) and correct some of the overstatement in your speedometer and odometer.

The best recommendation I can make for a new tire (Metzeler ME880 Marathon) doesn't come with whitewall for the front. Maybe Avon Venom does -- I've got no hands-on experience with that; several Shadows owners swear by them.

Last time I bought tires, I got excellent pricing and service from Rocky Mountain ATV/MC. I mount my own; if you can't do that be sure you've got someone lined up to do it BEFORE you buy the tire.

On edit: The shop manual(s) you use need to be specific for VT1100C2. Most things are common with the VT1100C, VT1100C3 and VT1100T EXCEPT fluid capacities. The VT1100C2 has a different (single pin crank) engine from 1995 through 2002.

·
Registered
12,291 Posts
Your bike is actually a VT1100C2 -- even though the paperwork days D.

PM me an e-mail address and I'll send you a link to download a PDF of the (1995?) shop manual. (Except for CA emission gear and color, the bike is unchanged 1995 through 1999).

Your OEM front tire was a Dunlop K177 120/90-18 65H. The recommended replacement is a Dunlop D404 -- a lousy tire that will never be on my bike again if I can help it. (The K177 isn't too bad except for wet roads or rough roads.) You can go with a taller sidewall (120/100 for example) and correct some of the overstatement in your speedometer and odometer.

The best recommendation I can make for a new tire (Metzeler ME880 Marathon) doesn't come with whitewall for the front. Maybe Avon Venom does -- I've got no hands-on experience with that; several Shadows owners swear by them.

Last time I bought tires, I got excellent pricing and service from Rocky Mountain ATV/MC. I mount my own; if you can't do that be sure you've got someone lined up to do it BEFORE you buy the tire.

On edit: The shop manual(s) you use need to be specific for VT1100C2. Most things are common with the VT1100C, VT1100C3 and VT1100T EXCEPT fluid capacities. The VT1100C2 has a different (single pin crank) engine from 1995 through 2002.
Thanks, Art - was hoping you would chime in on this otherwise I was going to PM you with this thread!:D

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've tried all those places and no one has this size whitewall available. I've mounted tires on my older Hondas (73 CL350, '75 CB550, 82 CB900, and 83 CB1000), but these beautiful chrome wheels are a little intimidating!

Thanks for the good information, all!

·
Registered
12,291 Posts
I've tried all those places and no one has this size whitewall available. I've mounted tires on my older Hondas (73 CL350, '75 CB550, 82 CB900, and 83 CB1000), but these beautiful chrome wheels are a little intimidating!

Thanks for the good information, all!
Kevin - the Dunny K177 appears to be available at ronayers.com:

K177 - Tires & Tubes>Dunlop : K177

I have bought tires from them before - good folks to do business with.

Or, check your local dealers.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm giving them a try. They list it, but so does everyone else. They open at 10:30 eastern, so I'm going to call them. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Talked to the people at Ron Ayers, these tires are on national back order.

Frustrating!

·
Registered
10,263 Posts
CHECK LOCAL! YOu may save a few bucks online, but give them a shot. If you are paying a local shop to mount them, you are going to pay more for mounting if you bring the tire in with you, so buy local and help a brotha out! A few of the local shops here will match online prices too, so it may be better to check with them. You may be able to go with a little larger tire and find a Metzeler.
Good luck!
Coop

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I always try to buy local, but they have nothing, and were unable to locate one. They are mounting a rear on my Aero, though.

I'll give some of those other sources a try.

I appreciate the help!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
None of those have it. That Maniac place listing them on Amazon says they are backordered until around November 25th.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It's much appreciated! It's amazing that I can't find even one of these anywhere. I talked to our local Honda dealer back in Michigan, and they also said it was currently unavailable. We are headed back there this week, so I may check a few dealers along the way. I'll have the ACE with me in the trailer.

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,270 Posts
A couple of thoughts:
o Ron Ayers is top notch. I get LOTS from them, some even when they don't have the best price. (And they're right outside my wife's home town -- that's local enough for me.)

o Most of these guys (including Ron Ayers) get their parts (including tires) from regional warehouses. If they're all saying "not available" then you'll need luck to find any in stock anywhere -- and those will be ones that have been sitting around for a long time.

o Metzeler, as I posted, makes a MUCH better tire than Dunlop but Metzeler doesn't make a front one for our bikes with white sidewalls. (I don't like white sidewalls because I'm not willing to do the work to keep them white. The grey or yellow sidewalls are downright ugly.)

o If white sidewall is important, Avon may be your best choice. I don't know much about their tyres. (No, I spelled that right. British.)

o Get a black Dunlop D404 and you'll only have to live with it for about 8-9k miles -- provided you don't ride it hard. That might buy you time until what you want is available.

o Where is "back in Michigan" for you, anyway?

Good luck.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.