Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a 02 VT600 with an oil leak. Person before me said the tow company bottomed our the bike due to strapping it down too hard.
I believe I found the crack. Let me know if you can see it in the pic.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,406 Posts
I see a fine crack, but you must have cleaned it well before this picture. Does it continue to seep all the time or just when running and the engine warms up?

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3
2,207 Posts
The correct fix is a new case and all that involves.
The possible repairs are welding or epoxy.

Being cheap with a dash of shade tree crude, I'd go with high temp epoxy.
The method I would use is to drain the oil and pull the filtter, route out the crack a couple of mm deep (not too deep as the case is probably fairly thin) with a cutting wheel on a rotary tool (Dremel or copy).
Then I'd clean the hell out of it with brake cleaner and apply high temp epoxy following the manufacturers instructions.
Next day I'd put on an oil filter, refill the oil and enjoy my ride.
That next night I'd put a sheet of clean cardboard on the floor and see if anything was leaking.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I see a fine crack, but you must have cleaned it well before this picture. Does it continue to seep all the time or just when running and the engine warms up?
yeah, I gave it a good wipe to look for any cracks. It seeps all the time at a very slow pace but even more so when it’s running and warmed up.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The correct fix is a new case and all that involves.
The possible repairs are welding or epoxy.

Being cheap with a dash of shade tree crude, I'd go with high temp epoxy.
The method I would use is to drain the oil and pull the filtter, route out the crack a couple of mm deep (not too deep as the case is probably fairly thin) with a cutting wheel on a rotary tool (Dremel or copy).
Then I'd clean the hell out of it with brake cleaner and apply high temp epoxy following the manufacturers instructions.
Next day I'd put on an oil filter, refill the oil and enjoy my ride.
That next night I'd put a sheet of clean cardboard on the floor and see if anything was leaking.
I was thinking the same but not as extensive of dremmeling out the crack a bit. Didn’t think of doing that.

·
Registered
84 VT500C retro bobber
1,390 Posts
Weld it. It'll take a shop 15 minutes to properly fix that so that you'll never have to worry about it again. Jb weld and similar products are just band-aids

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Living in Hawaii and with the stupid high prices. I might as well buy another engine from the states

·
Registered
84 VT500C retro bobber
1,390 Posts
Hawaii doesnt have welders? Doesnt have to be TIG welded if you find a shop that has a MIG with a spool gun. Thats all I use and I weld up cases, engines and transmissions all the time for my buddy who owns a auto recycling yard. I (or someone like me) would only charge about $50 to weld that up.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Kris, too bad your good prices are only 3000 miles away from me and probably about the same to Hawaii and that's a boat ride!

That would cost at least $150 around here if I found someone willing to do it.
Anybody would want at least an hour and shop materials.
It would probably be TIG welded though.

While I agree epoxy is a band aid, if well prepped it can be a hell of a long lasting one.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Don't know about that hole, perhaps somebody can look under their bike to see, I don't have one to reference.

Now that it is further cleaned up the more I look at that crack it just looks like a casting surface flaw.
The filter looks beaten up, you sure it is not leaking and just running down there.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,406 Posts
Shine a bright light in there to inspect or, get a paper clip and put a little bend on the end and run it down that hole to see how deep it is and if there are threads down inside.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,406 Posts
It may be a line up hole for the jigs at the factory to hold the case halves while assembling.
I often wonder about some of those protrusions under the engine like that long slot under your engine,if that is for assembly ???

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Don't know if it's possible to arc weld the fissure without damaging the gasket. That would necessitate pulling apart the crankcase so forth.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So after I cleaned and torched the bottom to clean off any chemicals, I come back to still see drips of oil for somewhere. I’m hoping any of you can see where it’s coming from.

I thought from the oil filter so I retighten the oil filter and saw that it wasn’t coming from there.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts