Honda Shadow Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,406 Posts
Not sure if could shift without a big visible sign. Production cases don't have to fit perfectly outside, just so all the inside areas are aligned.
Dry it very well again and throw some baby powder on the area and see where it shows dampness. It will show up on the powder first and you can find the source.

·
Registered
2001 Shadow Spirit 750
31 Posts
Certainly would need to be TIG welded to hold. But routing it out a few mm and clean very well with High Temp and High Strength Epoxy with no more pressure then it has on it should last a long time. Hey it's worth a try if it fails then you could always go back and punt. Clean it off and have it welded then. I'd try the epoxy if it was me. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
So I found the location of the leak and for sure it was just the gasket being out of position. I put JB weld on the seems from above the oil filter down to the bottom and the leak stop

·
Registered
10 Posts
It may be a line up hole for the jigs at the factory to hold the case halves while assembling.
I often wonder about some of those protrusions under the engine like that long slot under your engine,if that is for assembly ???
As a machinist I can tell you a lot of those protrusions are just leftovers from the casting process. Usually a cutter will go in and remove them but specks are often tight enough you can’t actually get everything.

now to the question at hand when I was working on cars I’d often use a dye that you couldn’t see until you hit it with a blacklight ifI had an oil leak I couldn’t locate. With a motorcycle you might want to change the clutch out after using the stuff as I have no idea what kind of affect it would have on it but if you look up engine oil dye for leaks you can find various versions of the stuff. Put it in and when it starts leaking again that stuff will make it super easy the trace as long as you have a flashlight that works with it (most kits will have that light)

·
Registered
06' VT1100C/99' GL1500C Valkyrie
8,439 Posts
I'd say replace the oil filter as I see a what might look like a pin hole in it. The hole in the CC is part of the manufacturing process and the cracks I see are casting flaws. The oil filter is the weakest point of exposure to damage.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts